Sign in with
Your question

Safe overclock settings?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 31, 2012 4:18:47 PM

So about 2 months ago, I started playing around with oc settings.

My stock CPU is a 955BE 125w 3.2ghz and I think the stock voltage is 1.35v?

My ram is kingston hyperx 1333mhz with xmp support of up to 1600mhz

and I'm running 2 GPUS, a gigabyte radeon hd 6850 and an xfx 8800gt

my mobo is an msi 870a-g54

for the 6850, I couldn't get it far above 900/1150, as it would freeze up my computer anytime I tried to play games, so I just left it at that.

for the ram, I was able to oc it to xmp settings; 1600mhz @ 1.672v

for the CPU, I was able to get it stable at an x20 multiplier, 4ghz @ 1.5v

I did do some research before doing this, and all forums said that since the mobo had a 4+1 power phase, it was no good for overclocking; i was suprised I could get it this far

The thing is, when I tried 4.1ghz, it was stable after a night of prime95, so was 4.2

but at 4.3, when running prime95, the entire motherboard blew up on me after 10 minutes. I monitored the settings with hwmonitor and speedfan, and when I glanced at the temps and voltages before it blew up, it said the vcore was at 1.776v even though i set it at 1.5v which I believe is much too high for the recommended settings for the cpu

So I'm wondering, how come the voltage auto adjusts like that even though I specifically set it to 1.5, and what are the optimal settings for oc'ing a computer like this?

I'd be glad to give more information; thanks in advance.

Edit: I forgot to add, my entire motherboard got fried from the attempt at 4.3. I RMA'd it about a month ago, and I'm getting it back tomorrow.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 1, 2012 8:48:26 PM

Hmm... my 8120 does the same thing.
First off did you make sure heat levels were safe?
I think it's just way to high voltage that causes bad things to happend. :( 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2012 1:35:05 AM

The Max core voltage for a Phenom II is 1.6 I believe and a max core temp of 62*C were you using the offset vcore voltage or the manual setting on your mobo? If you use the off set it will automatically scale the voltage where as manual it will stay more or less around what you set it at.

I got my 1065t (stock 2.9) to 4.102 @ 1.48750v with idle temps at 17 and load around 30 at max. Phenom chips also over clock much better if you can keep them cooler.

So temp is a major factor. I get stability issues when my ambient temperature is too high (on a hot after noon for example)

I've also got 6850s crossfired OC'd stable at 900/1180 but I havn't tried pushing it higher.
m
l
January 17, 2014 6:56:36 AM

bobusboy said:
The Max core voltage for a Phenom II is 1.6 I believe and a max core temp of 62*C were you using the offset vcore voltage or the manual setting on your mobo? If you use the off set it will automatically scale the voltage where as manual it will stay more or less around what you set it at.

I got my 1065t (stock 2.9) to 4.102 @ 1.48750v with idle temps at 17 and load around 30 at max. Phenom chips also over clock much better if you can keep them cooler.

So temp is a major factor. I get stability issues when my ambient temperature is too high (on a hot after noon for example)

I've also got 6850s crossfired OC'd stable at 900/1180 but I havn't tried pushing it higher.

What were you able to get the NB to on the NF750-G55 and what voltage did you use for it. I managed to get my 1065T from 2.9 @ 14.5x200 to 3.5 @ 14x250 w/ 1.3v on the cpu vcore with the HT @ 2000 and the NB @ 2500 with CPU VDD NB Voltage @ 1.3v.
I am still hunting for the sweet spot. No real issues with this OC yet had a blue screen in BF3 after a few weeks of use so I am back to the hunt for good voltages to use, I have a forum posting with full specs in my tracked threads and will link below if anyone has comments. I would really like to get this stable at 3.625 which is 14.5(stock)x250.
If I drop the CPU VDD NB VOLTAGE any lower I loose performance so I think the 1.3 is rock solid just need to fine tune the CPU Voltage. I am hitting between 54c-56c as it is on that overclock so would more voltage help or just pump too much heat

m
l
!