Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

NEC / Orion MS-7168 v1.0 Fastest Processor Upgrade?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
June 23, 2010 2:04:14 PM

Hi,

I have an NEC Orion MS-7168 with an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ and would like to upgrade the processor as much as possible, as i'm in education and on a budget.
What I just can't be certain of is whether or not it is compatible with an AMD X2 4200+ (dual core) - though the board and processor are both socket 939 i cannot find one definate written example of this ever being done.
Somebody suggested that the best processor available for the MS-7168 is a AMD FX-60?

I've emailed both NEC and AMD but had no replies, their websites have removed all information regarding the mobo and processors and I've tried their forums and nobody seems to know for certain.

This question "Is an MS-7168 compatible with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+?" may never be answered, I fear.


Please, anyone?


Some specs:

BIOS Type: American Megatrends
BIOS ID: 63-0100-000001-00101111-041806-ATHLON64
BIOS Signon: 0AAAA000
BIOS Date: 20060418
BIOS Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS Version: V3.07
BIOS Size: 524288
Chipset: Athlon 1100 rev 0
OEM Sign-on: BIOS Date: 04/18/06 17:38:25 Ver: 08.00.12
Motherboard Name: NEC COMPUTERS INTERNATIONAL
Motherboard Model: MS-7168
System Name: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Model: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Base Manufacturer: NEC COMPUTERS INTERNATIONAL
Base Product: MS-7168
June 23, 2010 5:57:36 PM

your board is no longer supported so it hard to find any info on it on the net... its like it never existed

no budget to invest in a new motherboard?
Score
0
June 23, 2010 6:18:50 PM

just want to be certain i can't insert a decent cpu in the current mobo before i look at a mobo replacement.

i'm thinking that a mobo replacement will mean re-installing xp, so i'd like to avoid that if possible and it could lead to a new case too.

Score
0
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 3, 2010 2:28:02 AM

still i dont know if an MS-7168 can support a dual core socket 939 cpu. looks like the only way i will find out is by trying it.
Score
0
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 22, 2010 9:31:18 PM

Having a Packard Bell with a MS-7168 and I have this CPU:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 4200+

Regards/John
Score
0
August 22, 2010 11:12:09 PM

Thats great. Thanks for the info, John.

Ian
Score
0
August 23, 2010 3:08:54 PM

John, if you are still there? May i enquire as to which bios you are using, please?
Score
0
September 17, 2010 4:17:03 PM

Today I installed a AMD 4200 x2 and all is working perfectly!
Score
0
October 30, 2010 12:47:40 AM

subsonika said:
Today I installed a AMD 4200 x2 and all is working perfectly!

Today I have put the x2 3800+ but when I powerup the fan of the cpu run strong and nothing happen, no screen output....
What I need to do?
Thanks
Score
0
October 30, 2010 10:03:48 AM

robyinno said:
Today I have put the x2 3800+ but when I powerup the fan of the cpu run strong and nothing happen, no screen output....
What I need to do?
Thanks



hi.

what's your set up?
Score
0
November 2, 2010 1:43:25 AM

At the moment I can answer you becouse I have flashed with vers. 3.07 the bios, before was 2.58, but the first time I flash with AMIFLASH.COM permit me to backup de bios but tell me an error on flash.
After that I have tried to flash with AFUDOS.EXE and it warn me about some problem and sugget me some options for safe, after that it tell me that the process of update go ok, but after I restart the my 3400+ have the fun running every time more fast and no video message, so I shutdown the PC.


Now I have reset the CMOS ( with jcmos jumper without current and put out the battery)
Now I can tell you that the bios update to 3.07 is ok, with my 3400+ ,
but putting the x2 3800+ the fun run everytime and nothing appear on the video.


I have found that now the problem are the to use 2 banks of RAM.
I had 2 banks of 512 MB of RAM (PC3200U) DDR-400Mhz CL3 , but the only one at time work, in the the posion DIMM1,
One is infineon and the other is Elixir, but every two have the same CL3 and PC3200U.
What is the problem?
I have understood weel with 2 banks the athlon x2 work with both together, so is more fast to have 2 banks installed.

Thanks again

subsonika said:
hi.

what's your set up?
Score
0
November 5, 2010 4:35:39 PM

Hi

So maybe you've fixed the problem?

Otherwise, as you say, check all your ram one at a time with 'memtest 86' (free download), check you have the latest BIOS, check your PSU is providing enough power.
Score
0
November 5, 2010 4:36:42 PM

robyinno said:
At the moment I can answer you becouse I have flashed with vers. 3.07 the bios, before was 2.58, but the first time I flash with AMIFLASH.COM permit me to backup de bios but tell me an error on flash.
After that I have tried to flash with AFUDOS.EXE and it warn me about some problem and sugget me some options for safe, after that it tell me that the process of update go ok, but after I restart the my 3400+ have the fun running every time more fast and no video message, so I shutdown the PC.


Now I have reset the CMOS ( with jcmos jumper without current and put out the battery)
Now I can tell you that the bios update to 3.07 is ok, with my 3400+ ,
but putting the x2 3800+ the fun run everytime and nothing appear on the video.


I have found that now the problem are the to use 2 banks of RAM.
I had 2 banks of 512 MB of RAM (PC3200U) DDR-400Mhz CL3 , but the only one at time work, in the the posion DIMM1,
One is infineon and the other is Elixir, but every two have the same CL3 and PC3200U.
What is the problem?
I have understood weel with 2 banks the athlon x2 work with both together, so is more fast to have 2 banks installed.

Thanks again



i can provide linkt o latest BIOS if u need?
Score
0

Best solution

November 5, 2010 10:57:02 PM

subsonika said:
i can provide linkt o latest BIOS if u need?


I have updated successfully with 3.07, there is some one newer?
In anycase I have used other 2 identical 256MB drr400 and 2 different 512 ddr400 (a-data and buffalo) and they works!!!

So now it's ok!

Thanks you for the assistence
Share
November 6, 2010 11:18:34 AM

good work! if it's all ok then leave it as it is.
Score
0
November 13, 2010 12:02:30 PM

Best answer selected by subsonika.
Score
0
a c 135 V Motherboard
November 14, 2010 12:37:53 PM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
0
!