Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Mini ITX system help

Last response: in Systems
December 9, 2009 3:42:35 AM

I want to build a new home office computer that takes up very little space and runs silent but can run VISTA 32/64 or WIN7 and all MS Office, ADOBE, flash off the Internet like Youtube without system hanging.
I don’t care to over clock this system, just use it for whatever.

I currently have…
MSI board, AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ 1.81GHz with 2GB of RAM running WINDOWS VISTA 32
but this system is in a mini ATX tower case and is up on my desk (loud) and would like to down size it to 16cmx16cm if at all possible and silent.

I have been considering the Zotac with the AMD and would like to get feedback from those who have experience with MINI ITX Motherboards.

Basically this system will be used for simple home use like email, spreadsheets, word, internet, photo editing with ADOBE and maybe one game; Western CivIII.

The last thing I want to do is build something that will not do.

What I am considering
MB= ZOTAC
CPU= AM2/AM3
RAM= 2GB
SATA= 4 for 3 hard drives & a DVD
USB=4/6

More about : mini itx system

December 9, 2009 2:09:10 PM

I don't think you need a new mobo. You already have one. It's just a matter of replacing the loud case fans with quieter ones.

What's your case or what case fan size is it? What's your budget for everything? What's the monitor resolution? Is it D-SUB/DVI?
m
l
December 10, 2009 3:29:22 AM

The current Antec case is a too large for the desk and the current MOBO is not running like it use to; even after purchasing a 1TB hard drive and upgrading ram.

The system hangs from time to time and what we have figured out is that the motherboard itself is going to die.

Currently have dual monitors with 1280x1024

What I am wanting to do is build a new computer with a small foot print but with power.
m
l
Related resources
December 10, 2009 12:30:49 PM

System freezes/hangs may not have to do with hardware. Could just be your bloated software. i.e. background apps like security. You can't install software on a P4/Atom the way you do on a AM3/i7. You have a lowly 1.8Ghz+ single core & 2 gigs. It's not gonna cut it for Vista. If you want to comfortably run Vista, you need 2Ghz+ dualie or quad + 3-4 gigs of ram. Or turn off Aero. Use Basic theme. Uninstall as much startup crap as possible. So the other way to fix it is to lower your expectation: install XP.

Your list in the OP won't speed up Vista much. It'll be more or less the same. Unless you upgrade the cpu & ram. But your req's is 2 gigs. It'll "hang" like you said.

Now if you spend more on a new cpu, ram & mobo, then you'll see a big improvement.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ZOTAC GF8200-C-E AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 Mini ITX AMD Motherboard - Retail
$99.99

Pick out a dual core & more ram, assumiing your ram is ddr2.
m
l
December 10, 2009 10:50:22 PM

Thinking about just going with one of these MBO and 4GB RAM THEN having a micro tower to shorten the foot print.

MSI 770-C45 ATX AMD Motherboard

* AM3
* AMD 770
* 4×240pin DDR3 ...

or

MSI 785GM-E65 AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

* CPU Type: Phenom II / Athlon II / Sempron 100 Series
* FSB: 2600MHz Hyper Transport (5200 MT/s)
* South Bridge: AMD SB710
* Number of Memory Slots: 4×240pin
* Memory Standard: DDR3 1333/1066/800
* Maximum Memory Supported: 16GB
* Channel Supported: Dual Channel
* PCI Express 2.0 x16: 1

m
l

Best solution

December 11, 2009 11:28:43 AM

I'd go with the 785GM-E65 - very high quality mATX mobo!
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/785g_preview/3....
Quote:
To cool the 785GM-E65, MSI chose a heatsink and heatpipe combo. Of the three boards previewed today, MSI's offering is the only one to cover the voltage regulation area, which should be a must so that enthusiasts can get more performance while overclocking. The heatsink from the VRM area connects to the fin style heatsinK over the Northbridge to aid in transfering heat. There is a smaller heatsink over the Southbridge to help keep it cool as well. MSI also uses all solid capacitators for stability and employs an Active Phase Switching design to save on power loss and works with any operating system.

December 11, 2009 1:08:21 PM

That's a good plan. Either of the above mobos will work.
m
l
December 11, 2009 11:42:42 PM

I would really like some information on building a very small but powerful computer, like using the Zotac motherboard. Does anyone have any experience with this board?
m
l
!