Sign in with
Your question

Sata master hard drive and ide hard drive as slave

Last response: in Storage
November 13, 2011 3:13:32 AM

Hello,
i happen to have 2 western digital hard drives and i have my master hard drive as a 36gb raptor drive as the master and i have a 320 ide hd as a slave. the bios sees the drives correctly as the sata is a master and the ide is a slave. when i boot windows 7 it only shows the rapter 36gb sata hd under my computer. under the divice manager it sees both drives though. what can i do to make both of these drives visable. the motherboard is a gigabyte ga-ma69vm-s2. is there a way to make both of them work
a c 260 G Storage
November 13, 2011 11:40:07 AM

Is the drive allocated in disk management?
a c 327 G Storage
November 14, 2011 3:51:22 AM

You appear to have fallen victim to an all-too-common misunderstanding. Master and Slave are settings on IDE drives ONLY - they have nothing to do with SATA. Among the drives in a machine ONE (normally, but not always) is designated as the boot drive with the OS installed on it, and all the others are data drives. The boot drive is NOT the same as a Master device on an IDE port.

Any IDE port can support up to 2 devices, so each of them needs a unique identifier. This is done with jumpers on pins on the back of the HDD, setting to either Master or Slave. The IDE port and data ribbon cable may have one or two devices on it. To be used at all, an IDE port MUST have a Master device on the cable, preferably on the END connector. IF there is a second device on the port / cable, it MUST be the Slave. (The exception to this is to set BOTH devices on the cable to CS (Cable Select), and let the system assign the END device as Master and the middle device as Slave.) So, check your IDE devices and be sure the jumper settings on all are correct.

For your SATA drive, do NOT set any jumpers. Many come with a jumper on pins used for other purposes and you should not change any of those unless you know exactly what you're doing. Some BIOS's use odd terminology, and call every SATA drive a "Master" of its port because there on only one device on that port. But the truth is, there is no such thing as Master and Slave for SATA devices.

I am concerned that you say the SATA drive is correctly shown as the Master, and the IDE as the Slave. Never mind the SATA drive. But the IDE drive should only be set as a Slave (by its jumper) if it is the SECOND device on its IDE port, with some other device as the port Master. If that is not the case - if your 320 GB IDE drive is the only device on that port / cable - set its jumper to Master and plug it into the END connector.

Now, if Windows still cannot show you that IDE drive in My Computer, you should check whether it has a letter name assigned. To do this you use Disk Management. Click on Start at bottom left, then RIGHT-click on My Computer and choose Manage from the menu. This opens up the Computer Management window. Expand the left-hand menu entry for Storage if necessary, then choose Disk Management. You will see two panes on the right. Both SCROLL so you can see all they have. The Upper Right pane shows you all the devices that Windows recognizes now and can use. Concentrate on the LOWER RIGHT PANE which shows you all the hardware devices, including those Windows does not yet understand. One of them should be your IDE 320 GB unit. At the left end will be a small label block. To the right is a larger block representing the way the drive has been Partitioned into "drives". Yours may have only one Partition consisting of the entire space available. Now look at the info in this larger block. Normally it has a disk name you gave it when setting it up like "My Drive" or whatever, and then the drive's letter name like C: or D: or whatever. I'm sure your SATA Raptor is the one with the C: letter name, since that's where you boot from. But does your 320 GB IDE unit have a letter name? If not, RIGHT-click on that large block for the drive, and in the mini-menu, choose to give it a letter name. You can choose any letter not in use now. Once done, back out of Disk Management and reboot so Windows can get this set up in the Registry. You should find that drive in My Computer now.

Now, IF your 320 GB unit has no name but shows only as "Unallocated Space", then you never did set it up for use. If that's the case - if this is a new empty drive that needs to be initialized before use - check out WyomingKnott's sticky at the top of Storage ... General Discussion here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265764-32-guide-insta...

and pay special attention to Item 5.
!