Sign in with
Your question

[New Gaming System Build] Help on Deciding & Reviewing

Last response: in Systems
December 9, 2009 4:34:09 AM

Dear Tom's Hardware Members,

I am currently a new member on this wonderful site and I would gladly appreciate help on my
new Gaming/General System that I will be building in the next 1-2 months.

Where I will Buy from:

I live in Australia and the website that I will be purchasing my components from is,
www.tigerdirect.com

Note: Yes, I will be the shipping parts to AUS because it actually ships to Australia unlike many US stores and I simply cannot find a cheap store in Australia. If you have any better websites with exceptional customer service, reliable and are cheaper then TigerDirect please feel free to recommend them. (Note: I'm not 100% sure if the Shipping Fees and Price in total will be cheaper than buying directly from Australia) Please Help me on This.

What this System is build for:

This is a build that I hope will last 2-3 years and will be used for Gaming and General usage.
I am into both RTS/RPG and FPS games. I will also be using this computer to accomplish High-School homework and assignments.

E.g: DotA, WoW, CS:S, CS1.6

Note: I am not a hardcore 24/7 gamer but I will Overclock my CPU and maybe Crossfire my Graphic Cards.

My Computer Parts:

Case: Nzxt Lexa S

MotherBoard: Asus Crosshair III Formula
Unfortunately I can't find this mother board on TigerDirect anymore and I would appreciate if someone could recommend another board with pretty much the same features. Also it would be thankful if the motherboard would support CrossfireX as I will be connecting two 5770's
Edit:According to comments I might just go with one 5770 or 5850.

CPU: AMD Phenom II 955 Black Edition

Graphics Card: 2x ATI Radeon HD 5770 or 5850 (I will Crossfire these in the future)

Moniter: Acer H233Hbmid 23" Widescreen LCD moniter

CPU Aftermarket Cooler: Thermaltake SpinQ CPU fan

I will be OverClocking my CPU to approxmately 3.7Ghz and I definately need a good CPU cooler but I am not sure if the SpinQ will fit in the Nzxt Lexa S case. (Help Needed)

HDD: Western Digital Velociraptors 10,000rpm 300GB

Optical Drive: Plextor Px-B320SA Blu Ray, CD, DVD Read and Writer (LightScribe Inc.)

Memory: Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM

Case Fan: Ultra Performance 120mm Dual-Ball bearing Case fan

Note: Getting a case fan because there are 5 fan slots in the Nzxt Lexa S case and only 4 supplied.

Power Supply: Corsair 750w Modular Power Supply

Thermal Compound OCZ Freeze Thermal Compound

Note: I wanted a cool PC so I thought of getting rid of the stock paste and adding my own after market one. Only problem is that I need to find a Thermal Paste remover
(Need Recommendations)

Keyboard: I can't decide which keyboard to use but the ones I've been looking at are,

Razer Tarantula-
Razer Lycosa (Mirror Edition)-
Logitech G110
Logitech G15

Note: Please help me justify the PROS and CONS of each keyboard and refer to the System section for what games I play. Thank you

Mouse: Logitech G500 Gaming Mouse

Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Fragged Speed Edition

Headset/Headphones: Logitech ClearChat Comfort Headset

Note: I might or might not buy these since I have a decent headset already. (Feel free for recommendations)

P.S Please note that I am looking at components that are Price: Performance wise. So if you are making recommendations please make them reasonable.

Conclusion:
Overall, I'm a first time builder and so please do not recommend things that are too over complicated to install or use, the simpler the better. I have done extensive research and I am positive that the components I chose are compatible. But feel free to correct me. Oh and if I did violate any rules by accident by posting in wrong sections then please correct me.

Thank you.

P.S I'm apologise for such a long thread but I do wish my build to be mistake-less :) 
a b 4 Gaming
December 9, 2009 4:43:04 AM

Dont open multiple threads on the same topic...
Check the other thread...
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 9, 2009 11:29:45 AM

I would say dun bother with high end 790FX boards and a simple 770 like Gigabyte 770T-UD3P and just a single HD 5850 will be devastating muscle for the $$ for a rock solid gaming rig foundation hehe

Also
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=236...
The CM 212 Hyper and OCZ Vendetta 2 are superior aftermarket coolers compared to that Thermaltake SpinQ
Quote:
Ultimately, while the Thermaltake SpinQ heatsink is a good heatsink, it isn't able to stand out from the crowd. Better manufacturing control may have influenced the SpinQ's efficiency if all six heatpipes were properly soldered to the base. However, without a reference sample to compare against we cannot say for certain.

In any case, both Intel & AMD thermal test reports position the Thermaltake SpinQ as a good heatsink, but clearly not the coolest nor quietest available.

m
l
Related resources
December 9, 2009 11:36:53 AM

batuchka said:
I would say dun bother with high end 790FX boards and a simple 770 like Gigabyte 770T-UD3P and just a single HD 5850 will be devastating muscle for the $$ for a rock solid gaming rig foundation.

This is true...but you will have a larger smile on your face with a 790FX [:bohleyk]

But seriously, he is correct.
m
l
December 11, 2009 12:00:54 AM

Thank you guys so much and I will edit my thread according to your suggestions :p 
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 11, 2009 1:34:47 AM

You are welcomed and glad we could help ^^
m
l
December 13, 2009 7:08:37 AM

Oh and I'm looking at mainly Asus Boards, It would be greatful if someone could find me a board that supports crossfirex and is power efficient etc.
m
l
!