Replaced router cannot find server windows 7

kennyglass

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Hello,
I just replaced a Linksys WRT54G router with a Netgear WNR2000 n router. Now my laptops cannot see the server computer nor connect to any of its drives. I have internet access but something is blocking the server access. It must be something in the Netgear because the Linksys had no problem with this. Please help. I am about to throw the Netgear out the window.

Solution

Hmm, interesting. Then it never really was the router. Sounds like your security system saw the change as a threat, maybe based on MAC address. Or maybe changing routers resulted in a new IP range for your network (e.g, from 192.168.0.x to...
If you're using a wireless connection, and all the other machines you're attempting to access are also wireless, then you might have AP Isolation enabled. Just disable it.

NOTE: Not all wireless routers have this feature, and I have no idea if this one does, but if it does, it's definitely one possibility.

kennyglass

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010

Yes, I tried WPA and WPA2. Internet connects with both but still can't "see" the wired computer. But again the wired computer (server) "sees" the laptops fine. The Linksys was literally plug and play then set up shared drives and worked fine, but not the Netgear.

kennyglass

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010

I have been all through the setup disabling firewalls, trying all different security options, and even tried open security but still can't "see" the server. I am thinking this refurbished model from Newegg is defective.

If the server can “see” the laptops, but not the reverse, that means basic connectivity has been established and the problem is far more likely at the OS level, not the router. I would never completely eliminate the router, but these types of problems w/ Windows sharing are so common and almost never have anything to do w/ the network (not unless BOTH sides can’t see the other).

Just to be absolutely sure, verify you can successfully ping the server from the laptops, and vice versa.

Did you do ANYTHING on the server or laptop between the time you pulled the old router and installed the new router that might account for some OS change?

kennyglass

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010

Pinging did not work to server either, nor wired connection. Netgear tech suggested reflashing new firmware and resetting. That actually got me further but still couldn't connect to server or Homegroup. I ran the Homegroup troubleshooter which suggested to disable McAfee firewall. I did and all of a sudden I could see the server. Don't know why Linksys had no problem with McAfee and Netgear did. Well it is working now. So hardware only firewall will be enough for me. Thanks for the help.

Hmm, interesting. Then it never really was the router. Sounds like your security system saw the change as a threat, maybe based on MAC address. Or maybe changing routers resulted in a new IP range for your network (e.g, from 192.168.0.x to 192.168.1.x). Most of these security systems scan your network upon installation to classify was it and isn’t part of the local network. Maybe it was configured to treat 192.168.0.x as the local network and anything else as OUTSIDE and a potential threat. Then behind its back you change your router and suddenly the network is 192.168.1.x and everything is now considered a threat. Or something like that, something that didn’t jive w/ its current interpretation of your network. Just speculating of course, but that would be my guess.

It would be curious to see if you uninstalled it, cleared any configuration information, then reinstalled it if it would work again w/ security enabled.

Anyway, at least it's working.

Solution

kennyglass

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010

AH! OK, that makes a certain kind of sense in a Windows 7/McAfee kind of world. So when I changed routers it named it as Network 2 instead of replacing the router on Network, which was Windows 7 lack of communication with me (the user) and then McAfee saw that as an attack like you mentioned and locked out server access. This is a great hypothesis and I may pose this question to Microsoft. I may try uninstalling McAfee and reinstalling it to see if it picks this up as an original network now. Thank you for your insight.