Tags:
  • New Build
  • Photo
  • Computer
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
December 9, 2009 5:40:37 AM

I'm very new to computer builting. After buying so many HP desktop and finding that I'm not happy with it. I decided to take the plunge and built my own computer. I did a bit of reseach before I started building my dream photoshop computer. Now I couldn't be more happier, I have it overclocked to 3.4GHz and it's running smooth without any problems (knocking on wood). Now I'm thinking about adding an additional 6gb RAM to my computer. What else can I add to my computer to make it faster, and better in terms of graphics. Perhaps maybe another gpu?

My setup:

-Intel i7 920 (1366)
-Asus P6T LGA (1366)
-Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 (3 x 2GB) RAM
-ATI Radeon HD4850 1GB
-Antec 550w PSU
-Antec 900 computer case
-WD velociRaptor 300GB (Very fast, I think)(main hdd for booting os)
-WD 1TB 7200RPM (photos)
-WD 640GB (music)
-Cooler Master V8
-D-link DWA-556 802.11n
-Lite-On CD/DVD burner
-Window 7 64-bit
-Samsung t260 monitor

More about : photography built computer

December 9, 2009 5:57:27 AM

kouasupra said:
I'm very new to computer builting. After buying so many HP desktop and finding that I'm not happy with it. I decided to take the plunge and built my own computer. I did a bit of reseach before I started building my dream photoshop computer. Now I couldn't be more happier, I have it overclocked to 3.4GHz and it's running smooth without any problems (knocking on wood). Now I'm thinking about adding an additional 6gb RAM to my computer. What else can I add to my computer to make it faster, and better in terms of graphics. Perhaps maybe another gpu?

My setup:

-Intel i7 920 (1366)
-Asus P6T LGA (1366)
-Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 (3 x 2GB) RAM
-ATI Radeon HD4850 1GB
-Antec 550w PSU
-Antec 900 computer case
-WD velociRaptor 300GB (Very fast, I think)(main hdd for booting os)
-WD 1TB 7200RPM (photos)
-WD 640GB (music)
-Cooler Master V8
-D-link DWA-556 802.11n
-Lite-On CD/DVD burner
-Window 7 64-bit
-Samsung t260 monitor

Add a ssd or two:
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategor...

I'm currently using this for the OS, some programs, and one game and omfg its fast. Your raptor 100mbs read speed, the Vertex 250mbs read speed! Plus no noise or crazy heat like the raptors.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Once you go solid state, you don't go back.
m
l
December 9, 2009 8:06:22 AM

What applications do you mainly use ? (Adobe Photoshop cs4 is cpu intensive, adding another gpu is a waste i think)
m
l
Related resources
December 9, 2009 8:09:50 AM

Yea, instead of adding another gpu, just replace your old one with somthing from ATi's 5000 series.
m
l
December 9, 2009 1:04:59 PM

ibnsina said:
What applications do you mainly use ? (Adobe Photoshop cs4 is cpu intensive, adding another gpu is a waste i think)

CS4 is one of the many programs I use for photo editing. I also use adobe lightroom as well. I was really thinking about buying more ram for my computer before anything else.

MothMusic -

The 5000 series are really nice but yet they are expensive, at least for me. I say that because I usually want the best gpu from that series. Because CS4 and other programs that I use are only 2d and not 3d I think a decent gpu like the 4850 is good enough for now.

I've thought about the SSD route before I purchase the raptor. To me, I had to factor in a lot of things like space, speed, and cost. I wanted a lot of space with fast speed and for a lot less than what I wanted to pay. Here's my conclusion to going with the raptor instead.

SSD > Raptor = speed
SSD < Raptor = space
SSD < Raptor = cost

It was 2:1, I'll wait a little longer until the SSD get cheaper with more space w/ less bugs in them.
m
l
December 9, 2009 6:19:17 PM

kouasupra said:
CS4 is one of the many programs I use for photo editing. I also use adobe lightroom as well. I was really thinking about buying more ram for my computer before anything else.

MothMusic -

The 5000 series are really nice but yet they are expensive, at least for me. I say that because I usually want the best gpu from that series. Because CS4 and other programs that I use are only 2d and not 3d I think a decent gpu like the 4850 is good enough for now.

I've thought about the SSD route before I purchase the raptor. To me, I had to factor in a lot of things like space, speed, and cost. I wanted a lot of space with fast speed and for a lot less than what I wanted to pay. Here's my conclusion to going with the raptor instead.

SSD > Raptor = speed
SSD < Raptor = space
SSD < Raptor = cost

It was 2:1, I'll wait a little longer until the SSD get cheaper with more space w/ less bugs in them.

There not selling 4850s anymore...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

If money is an issue than just get a 4770. There solid gpus, run cool, can handle modern games for cheap.

m
l