Sign in with
Your question

Frequent blue screen HELP!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 9, 2009 10:21:35 PM

i have a 3450 256 MB (upgrading to a 4870 1gb soon i hope) and every day i have at least 3 blue screen errors. i just restart my PC but i dont know what could be causing this. HELP

More about : frequent blue screen

a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2009 10:55:23 PM

Frequent blue screens are normally caused by faulty memory or faulty drivers (particularly video drivers). Run a memory test program overnight and try installing an older video driver.
December 9, 2009 11:45:09 PM

what os are u running ? and how old is the install ?
Related resources
a c 1367 U Graphics card
December 9, 2009 11:47:08 PM

Take down the error code and google it.
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2009 1:20:27 AM

Check your temps and run a Memtest86 (like pjmelect said).
December 10, 2009 7:46:51 PM

im running vista home premium 64x bit. oh and how do i run a memory test?aslo i know its a video card error because maybe 2 months ago i installed the latest driver from the ATi website and since then all games run much worse even on lowest settings.is there any way to find which driver is causing problem and which one to restore?
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2009 7:01:38 AM

Memtest86:
http://www.memtest.org/download/4.00/memtest86+-4.00.is...

ImgBurn:
http://download.imgburn.com/SetupImgBurn_2.5.0.0.exe

That is a CD image in a zip file. Unzip the zip file and then burn the image to a blank CD with ImgBurn, or any burning software that will burn a CD Image (not DATA!!). Go to bios and set the CD drive to boot before the hard drive in the Boot Sequence, save, and when your computer restarts and boots the test will start.

If Memtest finds errors in your ram and you have more than 1 stick of ram, take out 1 stick at a time and re-run the test to see which stick is the problem, maybe longer on the floppy if you have to format it. You can try down-clocking your ram or upping the voltage (if you know your limits), but it usually means the ram is bad or going bad. =/

PS: You can also do all that with a floppy in place of a CD with a different file on "memtest.org(or)com". Will take about the same amount of time to set up, I prefer the CD route (especially considering I don't have a floppy drive on hand hehe).
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2009 7:04:09 AM

And if your drivers are the problem, use a program like Driver Cleaner Pro or to wipe them (your ATI drivers). Make sure you are in safe mode when you use it.
!