Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Taking apart GTX 460 and Will Arctic Silver 5 do The JOB???

Last response: in Overclocking
June 1, 2012 1:02:37 AM

How would I go about taking apart a GTX 460 then applying thermal paste, and will Arctic Silver 5 do the job? (That is what is currently on my CPU. Recently my GTX 460 has been hitting 80C+ in BF3 and Diablo 3. So I want to clean out the dust and reapply the thermal paste. Also can heatsinks by different brands be interchangeably? Like could I take my PNY one and replace it with a EVGA if the fan were to die or something? A tutorial on how to take it apart (such as a video) would be appreciated.

Thanks!

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 1, 2012 1:17:23 AM

yes replacing the heat transfer compound with AS5 will give a little better temps.

you would only be able to change heatsinc's if both cards are the standard nvidia reference design.

often the video cards ram modules will use thermal tape that is a few mm thick. do note remove or replace this with AS5 as it will not work.
m
l
June 1, 2012 1:23:24 AM

HugoStiglitz said:
yes replacing the heat transfer compound with AS5 will give a little better temps.

you would only be able to change heatsinc's if both cards are the standard nvidia reference design.

often the video cards ram modules will use thermal tape that is a few mm thick. do note remove or replace this with AS5 as it will not work.

Do you know where I can find a tutorial for reapplying thermal paste? Also the AS5 I have is like half full, its one of those syringe things, it's okay to use it still, right?

Thanks
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 1, 2012 2:53:45 AM

I doubt you'll see more than 1c difference with AS5 unless the thermal paste you have has lost it's thermal bond.

80c isn't hot by graphics standards. I had a 9800GT that idled at 90c.
m
l
June 1, 2012 2:56:16 AM

geekapproved said:
I doubt you'll see more than 1c difference with AS5 unless the thermal paste you have has lost it's thermal bond.

80c isn't hot by graphics standards. I had a 9800GT that idled at 90c.

I took it apart and reapplyed the paste with AS5, your right, there is only a 1C difference. Okay I'll guess I'll just deal with 80c, but the thing is it was at 75c before, how come at max it increase 5c?
m
l
June 1, 2012 3:41:35 AM

Actually no! I was playing BF3 just now and the MAX temp was 73c!!! It decreased almost 10c on max! The idle temp is pretty much the same though.
m
l

Best solution

a c 109 U Graphics card
a c 150 K Overclocking
June 1, 2012 7:14:26 AM

AS5 takes some time to burn in, after 200 hrs your temps should drop a bit more ;) 
June 1, 2012 7:16:53 AM

Best answer selected by Arlen10.
m
l
!