Taking apart GTX 460 and Will Arctic Silver 5 do The JOB???

Arlen10

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
How would I go about taking apart a GTX 460 then applying thermal paste, and will Arctic Silver 5 do the job? (That is what is currently on my CPU. Recently my GTX 460 has been hitting 80C+ in BF3 and Diablo 3. So I want to clean out the dust and reapply the thermal paste. Also can heatsinks by different brands be interchangeably? Like could I take my PNY one and replace it with a EVGA if the fan were to die or something? A tutorial on how to take it apart (such as a video) would be appreciated.

Thanks!

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
yes replacing the heat transfer compound with AS5 will give a little better temps.

you would only be able to change heatsinc's if both cards are the standard nvidia reference design.

often the video cards ram modules will use thermal tape that is a few mm thick. do note remove or replace this with AS5 as it will not work.

Arlen10

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

Do you know where I can find a tutorial for reapplying thermal paste? Also the AS5 I have is like half full, its one of those syringe things, it's okay to use it still, right?

Thanks

Arlen10

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

I took it apart and reapplyed the paste with AS5, your right, there is only a 1C difference. Okay I'll guess I'll just deal with 80c, but the thing is it was at 75c before, how come at max it increase 5c?