Graphics card not found on M2A-VM

rigm0r

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
Hi!
I bought an ASUS M2A-VM a couple of years ago. The MoBo worked fine until now ; the graphics card stopped working suddenly. I tried another card in my computer without success, and i tried my card in another computer without noticing any issues. Now the only thing that i haven't checked is the Mobo.
Would a bios-update fix my problem, or should i return my card (and split my custom pc to million pieces)?
Regards

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
well you don't need to return video, works in another PC, and nothing is working in your PC, what you need to do is test the other main components that are required to start a PC (ram, PSU, motherboard and CPU) when you said haven't checked I assumong you tested the other items I listed, if these were fine then replace motherboard with another AM2+ motherboard, plug everything in as directed in manual that comes with motherboard and then start in Safemode (F8 before windows loads), this will allow Windows detect new components on motherboard, once done reboot, run CD that came with new motherboard to install chipset drivers, Audio, network or anything else like USB host controllers, etc.... OR take to certified Computer retailer to have Mobo replaced and configured correctly. A bios fix will not repair a burnt out motherboard, and PS, Asus Motherboards have a 1 year warranty, only way of getting replaced if purchased a complete system with an extended warranty from BestBuy or a name brand PC (Dell, HP, Acer....)

rigm0r

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
Sorry, didn't mention that the graphics card is a separate card. A Linksys 8800GT. The computer works fine except everything i put in the PCIe port. But i will try what you said, and even try a bios upgrade.
regards

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
that would say you may have had a voltage surge to the Pci-E lane and this could have burnt out the slot, I am sure your's came with onboard video, if this works fine and you video card works fine in another system it would definately be a motherboard issue. Was the Bios rest? If so make sure the onboard is disable and the primary graphic is set to Pci-E, does it show anything? If your machine sounds like it's still booting then your Video card is drawing to much power for your PSU now, what's your PSU? What wattage? 12v+ Rail located on side of PSU, how many and what amperage? Since the card worked fine before and is still working, the only issue is the PSU and/or an issue with the port. Let us know, if possible, try a good PSU in your system (Your friends or system you tested video in), does it start with video, if so replace PSU, if it doesn't, of course check to see if booting from Pci-E, nothing works, replace Motherboard. Still let's get a little more info to be safe.

rigm0r

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
I think it might probably be the motherboard. I just updated the bios to the newest version, but the error still remains. I have pci-e as primary graphics set in bios, but it still choses to use the onboard, so it must be a motherboard issue. When i tested the card at my friend's, i also tested the card without supply, and it started beeping. The card is getting hot in my computer even if it isn't working properly, so i guess it recieves some kind of power. The power supply i have is a 450W corsair power supply. It has never caused any problems. According to my google search, it has only one rail. I'm going to do a last try with the motherboard; upgrade to windows 7. After that i'm gonna consider to use the warranty and rebuild the computer with a fixed mobo...

rigm0r

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
Could it actually be the PSU??
I've got a mobo replacement and rebuilt the computer. Now i still don't get display from my pci-e board. I got display with my friends computer. I tried to replace the memory too. I'm 99% sure it's not the cpu since the rest of it works fine.
Would you guys suggest me to replace the psu? I've still got warranty.
The mobo doesn't beep like it does when i plug out the graphics board. Does it stop beeping even though it doesn't get sufficient power?

G

I had the same issue. i solved it by reseting the bios according to the instructions in the manual. now i can use my hd4850

TRENDING THREADS