Best way to prohibit growth of Algae

iraserei

Honorable
May 24, 2012
After reading many horror stories of people having issues with algae, I want to avoid it like the plague. Please explain to me how you guys keep your DISTILLED WATER cooling rigs clean and free of algae.

iraserei

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Unfortunately, I've read even WORSE stories about dyed coolants. Heh, and even if you have truly distilled water, you still need a proper biocide to prevent the growth of it.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Distilled water is what most hardcore and seasoned watercooling users actually use...with a little biocide or antimicrobial added. Some coolants break down and precipitate out, clogging blocks under 24/7 load temps (such as F@H, etc), some do not. Dyes are a little safer than coolants, but it still comes down to what is in that dye or coolant in the first place. Distilled water also still performs better than coolants, and if you have issues with corrosion, there are some options for anti-corrosives, but not all perform as advertised.

Anything that states it's non-conductive is only non-conductive for a few minutes, but anything that remains in contact with metals quickly will become conductive and continue to do so the longer they remain in contact. Leak testing and careful planning and setup are strongly suggested for any loop.

All this info is available in the WC sticky.

iraserei

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Haha yeah I know i've read it a bunch of times :whistle: I was just wondering what you guys do to prohibit it, like personal preference. PTNUKE,SilverKillCoil,both, you know what you prefer to do iswhat i was asking.

tumblr_m4c1p5lsFo1qipzp7.png

:)
I put water near my hardware to get it as cool as I can, because I enjoy designing and fabricating and building, and I like the option of a silent Pc or one that can give me a 4.5GHz Oc without melting my chip,
there are many reasons people do it, is your standpoint that we're mad, or just that you don't understand the use of it at all?
Moto

CrestfallenDesign

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Moto we could really use you in my TEC brainstorming page i know you like creating and building new ideas so we could use your input. :p

Dont want to Hijack so thats all ill say about that.

Heaps of people have their own ways of going about keeping out the nasties i learned that i probably wont need as many kill coils as Moto because my loop will be half the size of his not to mention half the complexity haha.

Try a bunch of different things if you want. I like the idea of using uv lights and killcoils because it makes me feel as if my water will be pure and un-tainted, however i only have a third of a WC loop in front of me so dont take my advice haha.

dave85uk

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

Sometimes the only way to cool highly technical equipment are through water cooling: x-ray systems, cars, power stations.

I guess you could call me the black sheep of the water cooling community my cooling solution is way over what some would even consider and I use different critter and algae control, what I use is in the linked setup.

Coming up on a full year in operation with no critters or algae.

Because it's perfectly safe, and major business's have been producing and selling the water cooling components for years.

You don't actually power a system up until you are 100% positive you have no leaks.

We leak test using an external power supply not your energized computers power, once the loop is confirmed, leak safe, the chances of a leak developing with today's water cooling hardware are slim to none.

I water cool for higher than normal 24/7 overclocks, simple as that.

That would be at least part of the reason the water cooling section is located in Overclocking, even though some water cool and do not even overclock, they just do it because they love it, and they can.

There is a certain mystique about it, but until you jump in the pool, you'll never understand.

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
well i have used water wetter antifreeze and distilled water for over ten years. I will be trying this new mix now less additives in the water and it is a copper base chemical so it wont hert my cooling loop.
project3002.jpg

project3003.jpg

before it was about a 80% 20% mix now it will be a 97% distilled and 3% water wetter you only need a couple of drops of the algae guard for your system in between flushes every six months and that is as close to water as i am willing to get. but that is me and I am a old school type person and don't get this only water idea yet but hay there are a lot of people doing it and it works fine for them so i cant knock it.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Q:
captaincharisma wrote :

i still don't know why anyone would risk using any water around electronics

A:
4Ryan6 wrote :

Because it's perfectly safe, and major business's have been producing and selling the water cooling components for years.

You don't actually power a system up until you are 100% positive you have no leaks.

We leak test using an external power supply not your energized computers power, once the loop is confirmed, leak safe, the chances of a leak developing with today's water cooling hardware are slim to none.

I water cool for higher than normal 24/7 overclocks, simple as that.

That would be at least part of the reason the water cooling section is located in Overclocking, even though some water cool and do not even overclock, they just do it because they love it, and they can.

There is a certain mystique about it, but until you jump in the pool, you'll never understand.

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
In my opinion the best way is to use distilled water and pure .999 silver in your loop. IandH Silver KillCoils in your reservoir http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11441/ex-tub-705/IandH_Silver_KillCoils_-_Antimicrobial_999_Fine_Silver_Tubing_Reservoir_Strip.html?tl=g30c103s1676

and or pure silver compression fittings in your loop. I opted for the 6 pure silver compression fittings. Two on the Reservoir ( inlet/outlet) one on each Radiator inlet and one on the cpu block inlet plus one silver stop fitting on each gpu block. The outlet fittings on the the radiators are just silver shinning compression fittings so are the inlet and outlet fitting for the gpu blocks.

http://jab-tech.com/Silver-Plated-Fittings-and-adapters-c-344.html

Also at Jab-tech if you buy 4 or more the price goes from $9.99 to $7.40

iraserei

Honorable
May 24, 2012
LOLOL that made me lol quite a bit XDDDDDD. SO it just sits in there, do i toss it in the corner of the res or what, LOL

By float I meant just drift around, flow around in the reservoir. I do think that it is too large to pass through fittings, however.