Your question

Asus p6x58D-e questions

Tags:
  • Asus
  • SATA
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
June 23, 2010 10:21:03 PM

Hello all! I'm currently putting together an editing rig (mainly for After Effects) and I've settled on Asus' P6x58D-e as my motherboard. I still had some questions that I wanted to clear up before ordering my parts and hopefully you all can help.

1. Currently, I'll be getting 2 WD SATA 6gb/s hard drives. I wanted to add a third drive as a boot drive. I know the motherboard specs say it supports 2 SATA 6gb/s and 6 SATA 3gb/s, but is it 'either or'? Meaning, can I have the 2 SATA 6 and a SATA 3 as well? Or is it just 2xSATA 6gb/s or JUST 6xSATA 3gb/s? Hopefully that wording is not too confusing.

I thought about going with a small SSD but I'm honestly pushing my budget pretty thin. (still got those student loans to pay off)

2. My second question might be more difficult to answer. AE suggest 4gb of memory per core for optimum performance, so I wanted a total 16 gb of RAM. I was going to go with 4x4gb of Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600. Basically two of these kits: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I've read through some posts that the x58 boards have issues with certain memory that isn't on Asus' qvl. Is there anyone who can give me peace of mind on my particular choice of RAM? Or have particular advice?

Thanks for any help you can all give!

More about : asus p6x58d questions

a b V Motherboard
June 23, 2010 11:41:47 PM

I have the premium version of the board. The 6 and 3 sata are by separate controller and it is not an either or feature on my board. The boards are not exact and I do not recall the differences. For a dead on answer, give asus a call they are very helpful.
m
l
June 24, 2010 1:34:26 AM

Thanks for the reply, DogSnake. The difference between the premium and -e are very little. From what I remember the premium supported the new intel boost as well as a better lan card. I think it's safe to assume that the controllers are the same.

How much ram do you have on your board? The more I look, the more posts I see with problems >12 gb of ram. A little discouraging.
m
l
Related resources
June 24, 2010 2:44:53 AM

jevan said:
Thanks for the reply, DogSnake. The difference between the premium and -e are very little. From what I remember the premium supported the new intel boost as well as a better lan card. I think it's safe to assume that the controllers are the same.

How much ram do you have on your board? The more I look, the more posts I see with problems >12 gb of ram. A little discouraging.

This is just another question stacked on your question. Sorry but I was just wondering what seems to be the problem with having >12 gb ram? I am building a new computer with the P7P55D-E Pro with 8gb but was just wondering just in case I decide to upgrade in the future.
m
l
!