Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Hi, I'm building new system that will look like this:

i5 750
ASUS P7P55D Pro
2x 1600 kingston DDR3 2GB
2x ATI 4890 (CrossFire)

3x 1TB WD Caviar Black HDDs

and in future I'll add one transcend SSD of around 60 to 80 GB capacity.

possibly another external 2Tb HDD

Now, I'm not sure what kind of power am I looking for. Would 720W be enough or should I buy 850W or even better power supply?

Thyriel

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Trouble is that I have very limited buying options in Serbia, and prices are VERY high

720W PSU is sold under name of Gigabyte although I doubt they are the real manufacturers at price around 85 EUR (~114 USD)

other options are:
CHIEFTEC 850W at price around 125 EUR (~168 USD)
and
ANTEC TP-750 Blue EC 750 W at price around 143 EUR (~192 USD)

festerovic

Distinguished
Wow, that's really high prices. If you can't determine whether the gigabyte PSU is real or not, I personally would not get it.

Both of the other options are decent power supplies, and you would be OK with either. The chieftec is almost the same price in the states, so you won't feel quite as ripped off.

Here are the ATI recommended power supply requirements for the ATI Radeon HD 4890 video card:

500 Watt or greater power supply with two, 75 watt, 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors

600 Watt or greater power supply with four, 75 watt, 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

The recommendations are for an entire pc system.

Corsair and Seasonic are two of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Wow,

"Corsair and Seasonic are two of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews."

Corsair, Seasonic, and PC Power and Cooling... why are people forgetting the older and equally amazing PSU manufacturer nowadays? Those three are the best companies, end of story.

AMW1011 - That's easy. The best model series PC Power & Cooling ever had was the Silencer series. Those psu's were manufactured by Seasonic for PCP&C. The Silencer series is getting hard to come by in the USA. Newegg has only one model. Amazon has only two models. Similar situation at other vendors in the USA. Not much better for the Turbo Cool series either. If you go to the PCP&C cooling web site they list 33 psu's. Only 3 or 4 appear to be available in the USA. If you look at their list of reviews you will notice that they are almost all European reviews and only for a couple of psu's. There are a few Asian reviews and one Australian review on the second page of the awards list. JonnyGuru hasn't done a PCP&C review since 2007. Tom's Hardware 2009 Gift Guide made the list but it was for an uninterruptible power supply. It hasn't been the same since OCZ acquired PCP&C.

I used to include PCP&C in my recommendations but there's no point in saying a psu is awesome if it is not available.

shubham1401 - It is not a word. It is an acronymn. Each letter represents the first letter of a word. It is from the online chat rooms during the early days of the Internet.

ROFLMAO = Rolling On Floor Laughing My Ass Off