Motherboard replaced

toofer8181

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
My motherboard died a week ago, it was an ASUS K7 W/2100CPU. I upgraded to an ASUS K8 W/3700 CPU. All is connected but it won`t boot windows. I can get in BIOS setup but thats it. BIOS runs at startup, F8 opens advanced options but all choices end up rebooting, I can`t get past startup options it always leads to a reboot. The only copy of the OS, WIN XP sp2, is on the hard drive. I have another licensed copy of XP I tried using after after loading my floppy emergency boot but it does not open windows, it just keeps rebooting. Anyone want to help me though this problem? I`m out of ideas, I just ordered a new HD thinking I can use my other copy of XP, get it to boot up and then try opening the the present HD. toofer8181

Windows will keep rebooting until you try the repair option, or format the hardrive and install windows. You'll need a windows xp cd to try the repair option. Check your local craigslist for a windows xp cd. You might get lucky and find one, with or without the coa keycode.

Slayer706

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
My motherboard died a week ago, it was an ASUS K7 W/2100CPU. I upgraded to an ASUS K8 W/3700 CPU. All is connected but it won`t boot windows. I can get in BIOS setup but thats it. BIOS runs at startup, F8 opens advanced options but all choices end up rebooting, I can`t get past startup options it always leads to a reboot.
Not being able to boot into Windows is typical after changing motherboards.
I have another licensed copy of XP I tried using after after loading my floppy emergency boot but it does not open windows, it just keeps rebooting.
I'm confused about this part of your post. When you say that you tried "another licensed copy of XP", do you mean that you used that copy to do a fresh install? As in, you booted from the XP CD and followed the steps to install it? Or was that copy of XP already installed on another hard drive, and you just switched that hard drive with the one that wouldn't boot?

If you did a fresh install of XP on the hard drive while hooked up to the new motherboard, you shouldn't be having this problem. I would suspect these things, in this order:
1) You messed something up (either the way you installed XP or the way you connected your components).
2) You have a bad motherboard.
3) You have a bad hard drive. (not likely, but possible)

If you just switched the hard drive that wouldn't boot with another hard drive that already had Windows XP installed on it, then that is your problem. Your motherboard is too different from the one that Windows was installed on. It doesn't have the right drivers to function properly, so it reboots. Both of your XP installs on both of your hard drives have this problem. If a repair install doesn't work on them (which you said that it didn't), I would just reinstall Windows from scratch.

If you need to get data off of those drives, just boot from a Linux Live CD or a mini-XP disc (either of these can be found for free online). Once you have booted into one of those, you can transfer your data to a removable storage device, such as a flash drive or external hard drive.

All of that being said, a new hard drive is probably not necessary to fix your problem.

toofer8181

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
w
I gotta tell you :pt1cable:

Ok, let me try again, I have no idea if this is where I`m supposed to be continueing this thread but here goes. Your all with me with the computer not opening windows, just keeps rebooting. Now I said I have another licensed copy of XP I tried to load on the exiting hard drive that already has XP on it and it would not install. So I ordered a new hard drive which will be here in afew days and I`ll install the my other copy of XP on it and that should get me running again

Slayer706

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
You shouldn't need a new hard drive unless the one you currently have is bad. Have you tested that hard drive? If not, burn a live CD hard drive tester like SeaTools or Drive Fitness Test, hook up the hard drive to a PC, boot the PC from one of those discs, and perform a long or advanced test.

What do you mean by "XP would not install"? Are you getting an error? Is it just rebooting? How far into the install are you getting?