Sign in with
Your question

Sapphire radeon hd 7950 oc and swiftech mcw 60 compatability

Last response: in Overclocking
June 1, 2012 5:45:41 AM

hi,
i recently bought a sapphire radeon hd 7950 oc graphics card on which i fitted a swiftech mcw 60 waterblock.
my watercooling loop consists of 2x 360 rads laing d5 vario pump and i7 920 processor overclocked to 3.8 ghz with a d-tek fuion waterblock.
my problem is the temps on the hd 7950 shoot up rapidly when i turn unigine heaven on and then the program closes.
i have tried reseating the waterblock and also tried a danger den maze waterblock as well from a previous crossfire set up to no avail.
the only thing i can think of is the trixx software i am running has some sort of compatability issue with the stock heatsink and fan removed.
i would just like to know has anybody run into similar problems with core only
waterblocks and hd 7950s.
i have used this waterblock on 3 previous graphics cards including a crossfire set up with no problems.
any ideas?
a c 109 U Graphics card
a c 150 K Overclocking
June 1, 2012 5:53:25 AM

It doesn't even seem like it is compatible, infact it's an old block.
http://www.swiftech.com/mcw60-t.aspx

You should probably invest in a FULL COVER BLOCK.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 1, 2012 8:49:17 PM

The regular MCW60 (I have no idea what the MCW60-T is) should work on the 7950, but I'm not sure it cools well enough to handle a 7950. Either that or its not seating right or there are flow issues in the loop.
Related resources
June 1, 2012 11:18:24 PM

amuffin said:
It doesn't even seem like it is compatible, infact it's an old block.
http://www.swiftech.com/mcw60-t.aspx

You should probably invest in a FULL COVER BLOCK.

hi ,
youre right it is an old block but the mounting holes are the same and it fitted my hd 5870 perfectly and kept temps under full load 48 degrees.
the actual block seems to make good contact as the tim on both gpu block and gpu are spread evenly and it fixes to the card perfectly .
i,m still wondering if its to do with the trixx software.
June 1, 2012 11:22:50 PM

boiler1990 said:
The regular MCW60 (I have no idea what the MCW60-T is) should work on the 7950, but I'm not sure it cools well enough to handle a 7950. Either that or its not seating right or there are flow issues in the loop.

hi,
it will cool well enough as it had my overclocked hd 5870 under 50 degrees for 2 years which has slightly higher tdp than 7950.
there are no restrictions in my loop and the gpu block seems to be seated ok.
thx guys anymore ideas?
June 2, 2012 11:17:21 PM

rubix_1011 said:
MCW60-T is the version with the TEC/Peltier unit as part of the block.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/5742/swiftech_introduces_mcw60_t_vga_waterblock/index.html

I still run dual MCW60's on my 560Ti's. Why wouldn't the block work if it has mounts for it? Just because it's old, doesn't mean it wouldn't work well; most of it would be determined by flow rate and radiator capacity.

This is whats puzzling me .I had dual 5870s watercooled in this loop and it never broke a sweat.i fitted this block on 4 different cards up to now and never had a problem but i must admit it all points to incorrect fitting .i will have another go tomorrow and report back
a b U Graphics card
a c 324 K Overclocking
June 3, 2012 3:05:05 AM

I've installed my MCW60's on 6 different nVidia card gens...6800GT, 7800GTX, 8800GTS's, 9800GTX's, GTX 260's and now GTX 560Ti's...all have performed very well on every card.
June 3, 2012 9:29:54 PM

rubix_1011 said:
I've installed my MCW60's on 6 different nVidia card gens...6800GT, 7800GTX, 8800GTS's, 9800GTX's, GTX 260's and now GTX 560Ti's...all have performed very well on every card.

hi,
i have found out today after refitting my mcw 60 for the 3rd time on my hd 7950 with no success that you have to buy a copper shim that sits between the gpu block and the waterblock.
i only found this out when i was looking on the ek compatability site for a new block and realized that the ek core blocks need a shim for them to be effective
October 12, 2012 3:45:29 PM

expat said:
hi,
i have found out today after refitting my mcw 60 for the 3rd time on my hd 7950 with no success that you have to buy a copper shim that sits between the gpu block and the waterblock.
i only found this out when i was looking on the ek compatability site for a new block and realized that the ek core blocks need a shim for them to be effective

what copper shim do you refer?
http://www.swiftech.com/MountingKitMCW82-7900.aspx
this one?
isnt something that you can DIY at home?
im telling it, because i will buy a 7950 and i have the mcw60 also
so as far i see, that shim doesnt seem to cost 38$ , i mean, seems simple right?
can you take pics of the shim you bought please?
thankss
!