Sign in with
Your question

DDR3 MEMORY

Last response: in Memory
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 24, 2010 12:46:10 AM

I have a I7-930 with Asus p6x58d Premium. The board uses ddr3 memory.
I bought 3 sticks of 2gb =6gb. Somewhere it said it was capable of 24gb?
To me you could only get 12gb with all the slots full. I am a newbie so its probably a dumb question. The board has blue and black memory holders so which ones do you use.

More about : ddr3 memory

June 24, 2010 3:10:48 AM

This motherboard has 6 slots for memory (RAM). If you put 4GB RAM sticks into each of the 6 slots, you get your 24 GB.

You can use both black or blue memory holders, but if you have 3 sticks of ram, you're gonna want to put them in every other holder for maximum speed. So 3 blues, or 3 black.

Hope this helps.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 24, 2010 10:39:07 AM

Thanks .I did not know 4G sticks were available . I have the 2g. I read a article somewhere about putting 1or 2 sticks in the wrong slots and the computer wouldn't boot. Also I read an article here on Tom's Hardware
withe the title "Do I really need 6G?". What about 24G?
Related resources
June 24, 2010 1:16:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks .I did not know 4G sticks were available . I have the 2g. I read a article somewhere about putting 1or 2 sticks in the wrong slots and the computer wouldn't boot. Also I read an article here on Tom's Hardware
withe the title "Do I really need 6G?". What about 24G?

Haha no. Unnecessary. Unless of course you make millions and just want to spend money for the fun of it. Then i highly recommend it...because it'd fun. I'm sure all people who do this for fun would love to make a "max" rig. Spend thousands to get that extra 1%...

I can't imagine the pain you'd go through though if one stick was bad. So much testing...
June 24, 2010 2:09:46 PM

I wouldn't go through the trouble of getting 4GB sticks of RAM unless you're gonna be running some crazy programs like photoshop.

Stick with the 6GB you have, that will be fine. (The motherboard is triple channel so having 3 (or 6) sticks is optimum.)

Also, don't forget to choose a best answer o.O
!