RyanJ

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
My girlfriend wants to play The Sims 3 and I am fairly certain I can handle it, but I think it is getting close to the time for an upgrade. So my question is what would be the most beneficial to upgrade.

My Specs:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Antec NeoPower 550 550W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6750 - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

SUPER TALENT 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model T8UX2GC5 - Retail

Thank you for your time.

-Ryan

Solution
Looks like everything you have should be fine to play that game. If anything, I'd bump the RAM up to 4GB.

Your system is kind of at a weird point where it's not cutting-edge but it's not that far out of date either ... and a generational change in CPUs/motherboards limits how much you can get out of an upgrade. It'll still do fine for most games. I'd add the RAM and otherwise keep it as-is for a year, maybe a year and a half, at which point you'll get a lot more value by building an i7 or i9 machine.
Looks like everything you have should be fine to play that game. If anything, I'd bump the RAM up to 4GB.

Your system is kind of at a weird point where it's not cutting-edge but it's not that far out of date either ... and a generational change in CPUs/motherboards limits how much you can get out of an upgrade. It'll still do fine for most games. I'd add the RAM and otherwise keep it as-is for a year, maybe a year and a half, at which point you'll get a lot more value by building an i7 or i9 machine.

Solution
I agree with taco. Your system looks pretty well balanced and any one component upgrade is not going to do you that much good.

DDR2 RAM has become pretty expensive; if you are running XP or a 32bit OS I'm not sure it will be worth it.

If you are dying to buy something then a long term purchase like a new DX11 graphics card (maybe a 5770) which will give you some performance increase now and be useful in your next computer.

RyanJ

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Thanks guys, appreciate the input. I was considering RAM but read somewhere that my XP could only utilize 3 gigs of RAM.

But yeah, I'll probably wait awhile then.

Thanks again.