bcbrown19

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
Hey all ...

Just wanted to say thanks for everyone's help on my first build. I've got it all sitting in my newegg cart waiting for purchase, but I have a few last questions.

A) It was "recommended" to me that I go ahead and purchase thermal compound, is that necessary or does the CPU come with thermal compound with it?

And my harder question ...

B) due to space restrictions with my office becoming a baby room for my first born, I have a slight dilemma in terms of monitors. I currently have 2 17" Dell LCD monitors that I used to use in a dual screen setup with a resolutioin of 2560x1024, and I have a Vizio 37" HDTV. I was thinking of just using the television as my "monitor" and doing some real couch potato work with a wireless keyboard mouse set up. OR should I just go ahead and get a new monitor, if so - which one would be a good buy for gaming/digital media work?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

-B.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
A. Standard HSF (part of retail box with CPU) usually have thermal paste applied as well as some purchased separately. You need to check whichever you purchased. Some people recommend always cleaning off the pre-applied "paste" and using the "good stuff". Others suggest only doing it if you plan heavy OC. I agree with the later. The CPU makers are not going to jeopardize CPU by providing it with bad paste setup. Although I have never seen test on this - would be interesting.

B. The TV approach sounds great to me. Why not give it a try and see how it works out for you.

I am not aware of any monitors that are good for both gaming and digital media work - the two objectives class - at least in terms of reasonable cost monitors. Gaming wants fast monitors -which means TN screens - but they have very limited viewing angles and colors are not the best. To get good color and clarity - you need one of the other panels with slower speed. I am sure you can google all kinds of articles about these issues.

bcbrown19

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103649

So if that is the CPU I am getting, down where it says "heat sink and fan included" should basically tell me not to worry about the thermal compound?

And thanks for the other insights. I'll probably just go with the television and use one of my older monitors for set up and when the wife wants to use the television. heh ... I may not have the most efficient layout but it is is effective.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Here is the installation guide.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/CPU7-HSFRemovalInstructions.aspx

Note that on the instructions for the install - there is no mention of applying paste.
On the reinstall instructions - they give those directions.
And on the bottom - it recommends paster for "replacement".
So it does not say "No paste needed" - you have to infer it from instructions.

When you actually get the HSF, you will see there is a pad on the bottom, not bare metal. The pad actually melts when it heats up.