Decent Card for 1600 x 900 Gaming?

Skyman747

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
I really wanted to set my limit at around $150, making the HD5750 my choice, but I might be able to scrape up some more cash, so at my resolution, will I notice any difference if I stepped up to maybe a HD5770 or similarly priced 4000 series/nvidia card? The games I will most likely be playing are Aion, TF2, and maybe Fallout 3, so I really don't want to go completely overboard.

Can I also squeeze a PSU question in here? If I'm going to use any cards I am going to be updating my PSU, so would this be adequate for a decent card? Only other things in my case are a Quad Athlon II, 4x2GB DDR2, and a HDD.

G

For a 1600 X 900 resolution with the games you listed you could still do very well with the 5750.
In fallout 3, for instance, you will get 49 FPS in a 1600X1200 resolution and 8XAA, HDR and Ultra quality settings!
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5750-review-crossfirex/18

You well get an even higher framerate with 1600X900, of course!

But if you ever are going to play Crysis or even Stalker: Clear Sky its a totally different story.
They won't really be playable at that resolution at all, at least not Crysis.

But the card is more than enough for most other games!

Skyman747

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Yeah, I really have no plans of playing Crysis right now, but the 5770 definitely has my attention now. Just to know, is there any difference between fully shrouded models and ones with just the fan on it? Or are they exactly the same.

As for the PSU, I would like to keep it around $60-70 not factoring in Mail-in-rebates. How do people feel about OCZ PSU's, as this one seems pretty good at a decent price.