Excellent System Build guide for Core i7/i5 machines

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Dear All,

I stumbled across this one, found to be very helpful to the minute detail. I hope it would be useful to many (new) system builders like me experimenting with Core i5/i7 family.

http://www.corsair.com/systembuild/print.aspx?report_id=1099104

I am asking out of curiosity, why did they decide on 860 instead of choosing 870/750? Even AnandTech and few other reviewers found 860 is better positioned (since it's HT enabled and price) compared to 870/750. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

~akula2

Solution
as jtt said, you don't need a good graphics card for a workstation. I won't go as far as to say get an integrated card, but say a HD 5750 would be fine and still let you game a bit.

Also, look over the software you use carefully, VERY few programs actually utilize 8 threads. While in benchmarking the HT makes a diff, if your software doesn't utilize more 4 threads there's no point.

So yea, basically software hasn't caught up to thread count yet. 99% still only utilizes 2 or 3 cores max.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009

I got that point, thanks for replying. Even I observed 860 is not projected like 870 and 750 counterparts, that's why am inquisitive to learn why :) Price for i5-750 is $190 and for i5-860 is $280 (both TigerDirect). That's $90 difference to me and if multiply it by 21 am going to get a shock :ouch: Personally, which one do you recommend ignoring the price?

~akula2

Depends on what the computers are for. For most gaming the i5 is as good as any CPU right now. For heavy multi-thread applications the 860 is the way to go. If you just want solid gaming performance then a Phenom II x3 920 AM3 system is the most price effective strong gaming machine.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009

Actually am phasing out 5 year+ old 875p 20 workstations which are daily used for Drug Design and Modeling and few more apps related to Pharma industry. A chemist today strongly urged me to go for i7 (because of HT) but I said 750 is very good one and it shouldn't matter much to us without HT - I know HT has some 10% more performance over non HT for my requirement (but I intend to save money). So, I need a good graphics card for R&D usages not exactly for gaming (from this perspective too, found i5-750 as a very good choice). What's your suggestion in my scenario?

Thanks,

~akula2

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
are you open to overclocking these systems ?

overclocking is not for gaming or benchmarking only . a moderate 3.2 will outperform a 860 and the results will be really visible in cpu-intensive modelling apps compared to say , my own usage , gaming , where its still mostly about my Gpu power .

an i5 with $20 on cooler master hyper tx3 will get u to 3.2 ghz easily and save u 60 dollars .

banthracis

Distinguished
as jtt said, you don't need a good graphics card for a workstation. I won't go as far as to say get an integrated card, but say a HD 5750 would be fine and still let you game a bit.

Also, look over the software you use carefully, VERY few programs actually utilize 8 threads. While in benchmarking the HT makes a diff, if your software doesn't utilize more 4 threads there's no point.

So yea, basically software hasn't caught up to thread count yet. 99% still only utilizes 2 or 3 cores max.

Solution

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
no , for basic display workstation , i would have suggested integrated but none exist for p55 . if this intel-nvidia war wasnt there , p55 with ion-like gpu motherboards would have been there , better than amd 790gx and still cost effective !

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009

Pharma design and modeling applications are more intensive, mostly higher than CAD system requirements. Definitely we need a Graphics card (present PCs are running with 256 MB nVidia cards).

This is where we all are struck, seriously considering 860 but not 870 :??:

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009

No, except me NONE would do OC (only Turbo Boost = 3.2 GHz for i5-750).

Yep, that's my point too :)

Would surely consider it, thank you so much.

~akula2

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009

I went for Core i7-860, Gigabyte P55A-UD4P and Sapphire Radeon 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB GDDR5 as my requirement is not that easy considering running multiple apps and simulations, driving 3 LCDs (Eyefinity support) etc. Thanks for the response.