June 1, 2012 1:24:12 PM

I have a few quick questions about my computer.. First, the specs are:

Intel i7-860 2.8 GHZ
4 GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 550 TI 2 GB
P55-GD80 Motherboard
Antec 900 Case
750W Power Supply

I have never overclocked before and I was thinking about starting yesterday. However, when I checked my temperatures, I was idling around 60C and when playing Diablo 3, it got to 99 on all 4 cores.. I opened my case up, had an industrial fan blowing into it and it made no difference. I reapplied thermal paste on the heatsink and now it's idling around 40-50C. I haven't tried Diablo 3 yet but I feel like it's still going to heat up quickly.

Obviously I don't want to overclock if the temperatures are already that high. I'm looking at new heat sinks to see if this will fix it, but could there be any other problems? (I still have the original Intel heatsink)

Second part, is there any part of my system that is bottlenecking the other? I want to make sure I'm running as capable of a system as possible. I have a 120hz Monitor but I'm getting around 50-60 FPS in Diablo 3 and I want to take advantage of the 120hz. Is it worth upgrading any part of my computer? Would getting 4 more GB of RAM help?

Thanks for all the help!

Falco
a b K Overclocking
June 1, 2012 3:07:33 PM

I see no reason to overclock or upgrade ram. Ram is cheap and now would be a good time to upgrade it but it's not necessary.

You have a low end graphics card so overclocking the cpu isn't going to do anything for you except in a few very cpu intensive MMO's.

Those temps are extremely high and I'm surprised you haven't burnt the chip yet, the only way it could possibly hit 99c is if the heatsink wasn't attached properly or if there was no thermal paste used to begin with, otherwise it's pretty impossible unless your case is airtight and the room is over 85f.

Try using Hardware monitor(google it) to check your temps. As long as it's open it will record your min/max temps for the session for all your parts.
a b K Overclocking
June 1, 2012 3:12:37 PM

What are your room temperatures? You should idle in the 20-40C range on that processor. The processor will thermal limit at about 100C and it is not good to hit there very often. For safe 24/7 operation I wouldn't go over 75C. Make sure you have good air flow in your case. If you create a lot of heat inside the case it will migrate to other stuff if you don't get it out.

If you overclock your system you should see your frame rates go up. I am not saying you will be able to play at 120 fps with everything maxed in Diablo III but it should help. Your video card isn't going to allow you to do too much crazy stuff.
Related resources
June 1, 2012 3:21:52 PM

Before I checked the paste, it was idling around 65-70 o.O After I added paste is when it went down to 40C. The room temperature is about 21-23C but I even opened the case and put an industrial fan blowing air into it and it lowered by 3-5C if that.

Should I get 8GB of RAM, a different heatsink and then a new GPU (was looking at the GTX 670)? I think I would start with the RAM and heatsink and see if that would make any difference.
a b K Overclocking
June 1, 2012 3:26:08 PM

Are you using the stock heatsink? If so those are notorious for being bad for overclocking. Getting more ram can help up to a limit of what you are going to do with the PC.
June 1, 2012 3:35:34 PM

yeah i'm using the stock heatsink.. i think i might buy a new one today as well as 8 GB of RAM. With a new heatsink, would OC be a viable option?
a b K Overclocking
June 1, 2012 3:39:52 PM

Sure, you just have to keep the processor cool enough so you can run it a long time.
a b K Overclocking
June 1, 2012 3:43:37 PM

falco37 said:
Before I checked the paste, it was idling around 65-70 o.O After I added paste is when it went down to 40C. The room temperature is about 21-23C but I even opened the case and put an industrial fan blowing air into it and it lowered by 3-5C if that.

Should I get 8GB of RAM, a different heatsink and then a new GPU (was looking at the GTX 670)? I think I would start with the RAM and heatsink and see if that would make any difference.

The only way you could achieve -25c by changing the thermal paste is if the heatsink wasn't installed properly to begin with. It must not have been clamped down on all 4 corners. Your lucky it still runs.

Get yourself a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ or 212 EVO.
!