You will be able to find CPU support information on the HP website under support for your computer.

Theoretically, all motherboards back to the AM2 socket that are rated for the right amount of power, will be able to support any AM3 cpu.

JazzCadet

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Thank you...Another question I had was is it better to switch out the CPU yourself or pay someone else to do it. I've never switched one out before...is it self-explanatory?

Well, let's put it this way:
It's fairly easy to do and can be done without you damaging anything even if you haven't done it before. It is pretty self-explanatory and if in doubt there are many online guides. Intel heatsinks can be a bit finnicky but you will get it done without damaging anything in the end. Just remember to ground yourself - for example on the case. And don't work on carpeted surfaces. You don't want to static shock any components.

Of course, if you really don't want to take the time to do it, you could have someone else do it. I'd recommend asking any friends you have before hiring someone. There's no point in wasting money if you don't have to.