Sign in with
Your question

Video driver for latitude d630 running xp 64

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 10, 2009 6:00:49 AM

Hello,

I'm trying to install drivers for my d630. I'm running xp 64 and it's a 64 bit system. Dells website says i need a driver for the Quadro NVS 135M and they offer drivers for windows 7 32/64, vista 32/64, and xp (no 32/64 distinction). none of these work. I tried installing sp2 and now my device manager is showing a lot of devices with question marks.

my main question is how to get my graphics card working so the resolution is correct. I found something called 'forceware' distributed by nvidia for this graphics card and xp 64 and it didn't work.

Thank you.
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2009 7:16:07 AM

tecknowledgist said:
Hello,

I'm trying to install drivers for my d630. I'm running xp 64 and it's a 64 bit system. Dells website says i need a driver for the Quadro NVS 135M and they offer drivers for windows 7 32/64, vista 32/64, and xp (no 32/64 distinction). none of these work. I tried installing sp2 and now my device manager is showing a lot of devices with question marks.

my main question is how to get my graphics card working so the resolution is correct. I found something called 'forceware' distributed by nvidia for this graphics card and xp 64 and it didn't work.

Thank you.

It doesn't appear there's an official x64 version on their support site, Dell Drivers & Downloads, but the site above may work.
m
l
Related resources
December 10, 2009 5:21:55 PM

Thanks guys, but even that driver says it's not compatible with my current hardware.

I should note that just for the installer to see my hard drive I had to go into the BIOS and switch from ahci to ata. I read that my laptop came after xp 64 and that I had to do this in order for the installer to recognize my hardware. It sounds like this driver problem might be a similar issue. Thoughts?
m
l
December 10, 2009 5:23:54 PM

btw neither of the above links work. i also installed sp2 but i dont know if that would make a difference...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2009 7:02:08 PM

Are you sure you have a Quatro NVS 135M in your laptop?
Perhaps you only have the standard x3100 IGP?

The above drivers are direct from nVidia and are the correct drivers for a Quatro NVS 135M under XP x64.
The link again is:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook_winxp64_195.62_wh...
m
l
December 11, 2009 2:03:42 AM

I don't actually know that I have the nvidia driver at all. When I had ubuntu installed this worked fine and It never showed nvidia in the restricted drivers -- just broadcom.

I'm going to boot into knoppix and try to identify my video card from the command line. For some reason I can't determine this via windows - unless you know how to do that from the terminal..
m
l
December 11, 2009 2:11:15 AM

i found a program called 'unknown device identifier' and it said this is my video card:

intel gm965/gl960/gs965 chipset integrated graphics controller

I'm going to try to find the driver now and i'll post the results.
m
l
December 11, 2009 3:19:57 AM

OK I have another problem. I've gotten everything installed but audio. When I boot, XP tries to load the audio driver but fails. I've found it online:

http://download.cnet.com/IDT-High-Definition-Audio-CODE...

The page says it supports:

Operating system: Windows 2003, Windows 95, Windows XP AMD 64-bit, Windows NT, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows 2003 AMD 64-bit, Windows 2003 32-bit, Windows XP 32-bit, Windows 98

I'm running XP 64 on an intel core 2 duo, not AMD. It looks like it supports everything *except* my setup. What do I do now?
m
l
December 11, 2009 11:06:42 PM

thanks. I thought I had installed that but maybe it was for a different version. So it installed just fine -- it just didn't do anything.

here's what my unknown device identifier shows as missing:
SM Bus Controller [UNKNOWN DEVICE]

and when i get details on that...

Chip: Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller

And I'm searching for this on google and on intel's site (82801H, ICH8) and I'm not finding anything that looks like what I need...

...but I did find on intel's site that if I run the inf update utility then that will automatically find what intel drivers i'm missing. I'll reboot now and see if it worked...
m
l
December 11, 2009 11:11:39 PM

...and it didn't do anything -- except render all my usb ports useless.
m
l
December 12, 2009 6:13:43 AM

This is maddening. So I found a thread that said I needed a certain hotfix, and I went to install it but it said my service pack already covered it. and by the way, I installed service pack two and it's only showing as service pack 1. and when I followed the link to d/l this service pack on ms' website it took me to a dl of windows server 2003.

anyway I'm exhausting every avenue I can find to get this audio working. What should I do?
m
l
!