SSD windows install VS Intel Smart Response

garyfletcher

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Hi All

I am planning to build a new PC, it will support Intels SRT, but I was wondering if I should just install windows 7 (ultimate) on the SSD, or install windows on the HHD with SRT enabled?

I am tending toward the SSD install route, but would like to hear any opnions and views, or dos and don'ts.

spec:

Mainboard: ASUS 1155 P8Z68-V PRO S/L
Processor: i5-2500K
SSD: Crucial CT256M4
HHD: SEAGATE 2TB BARRACUDA XT

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

adampower

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Install on the ssd. You could partition 40 or 50 gig to the srt and run a small c drive or just use the m4 as a 'boot' disk with some important programs/scratch disk and leave the spinner for storage. imho a storage drive does not benefit much from srt but it depends how you use that storage.

The big benefit of the z68 is not srt but Lucid. Making use of the apu's strengths is a great idea.

garyfletcher

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Thanks Adam.

kinda confirmed what I was thinking. I have not heard of Lucid, could you (or anyone) provide more info/url etc about what it is?

Thanks

Lucid is used for virtualizing the igpu for using quicksync which greatly improves encoding times with supporting software. Even for someone like me which does encode, I didn't get my z68 for lucid, didn't even install it, just put a monitor in the igpu so I didn't have to virtualize it. What's important is that you can use the igpu and OC. (srt is unimportant too for me but it has its uses for others).