Sign in with
Your question

Artifact Issue

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 10, 2009 6:26:05 AM

Hello there,
I went to the store yesterday to buy a new card, a XFX ATi HD4870 512mb, which was a huge upgrade from my previous one (nvidia geforce 7600GS 256mb), installed it without problems... until i started opening a few games.
I can play Left4Dead2 fine, but after the first map I start seeing artifacts all-over the place, sometimes it's nearly unplayable.
Ran Borderlands, no problems at all, not a single artifact.
GTA IV, well, it's nearly impossible to play. Here's a pic showing it: http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/8666/gta4artifacts.j...

ATM I'm sitting on a c2d e4400 @ 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, hd4870 512mb, and a 580W PSU running on WinXP SP3, nothing's overclocked. I can't really recall the motherboard's model, but afaik the PCIe slot is 1.1.

My card's temperature is ~55ºc idle, ~62ºc while in-game.

I've tried reinstalling drivers (9.11), downgrading drivers (9.10, 9.9) and it's still the same.
Could it be because I didn't format while switching from nvidia to ati? I didn't really want to format right now, so unless there's a high chance of it being the actual problem, I'd rather leave that one for last. :p 
According to the box this card requires a 500W PSU minimum... now, it's not overheating (62º in-game), so which could be potential issues?

Thanks in advance, anything you need to know from me just ask and I'll try to reply quickly.

More about : artifact issue

a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2009 6:29:38 AM

Did you at least clean out the old nVidia drivers first before putting the ATi card in?

Google is you friend. :hello: 

December 10, 2009 6:31:42 AM

Yes, I deleted them and used driversweeper to finish cleaning up.
I know google is my friend, and I've read through 10 pages of it, most people's issues was due to overheating, which isn't really my case. :( 
Related resources
December 10, 2009 6:38:57 AM

GTA4 eats most of the quads below 2.2ghz
i think your processor is too slow for gta4
December 10, 2009 6:45:17 AM

Minimum req is c2d 1.8ghz, but what I don't get is L4D2, which ran "fine" (40-50fps with everything in low details) on my 5year old card, and now the game runs really smooth with max settings, 1280x1024, but after the first level or so it's about the same as that GTA IV pic. What intrigues me the most is that none of that happens in Borderlands...
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2009 7:05:00 AM

if it artifacts its prolly a bad card.

might i know how many amps does your 580w psu has?
December 10, 2009 7:15:09 AM

wh3resmycar said:
if it artifacts its prolly a bad card.

might i know how many amps does your 580w psu has?

Hum, is there any way to find that out without having to look inside the case?
December 10, 2009 7:31:39 AM

im curious about the amps aswell, open the case and look for the psu (useally left top corner) and there should b a sticker on it with readings such as 5v-10A, 12v-15A etc.

those are the rails, and the ones were atfer are the 12v rails (since you can have more then one 12v rail)
December 10, 2009 7:42:17 AM

It says:
Current
4-10A
2-5A
And then there's a list with "Yellow" "Purple" and "Blue" under Current, the yellow one goes from 180W - 10A to 550W - 22A.
I don't know if this helps. :x
December 10, 2009 11:03:22 AM

what im getting from this is you either have 22 amps (wich would b rather low for a 580 watts psu) or 4, 10 amps lines . Both regarding the 12v rail.

if its the 22A, then your definitely to low, can you give any more details regarding the psu? model number etc
December 10, 2009 1:51:46 PM

Well, i brought the gfx card back to the store and talked to the guy there, he tested the gfx in one of their systems with 3dmark and said it was fine, that it'd probably be my PSU, so I bought a new one, Nox Urano 600W, and, well, I still have the artifacts. :/ 
So it's not the PSU, it's not overheating (~55º idle ~62 in-game)... what else really? Will probably try to format later today to see if it works, if it doesn't it's gotta be a defect or something. :x
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2009 3:24:09 PM

^ i had a 4850 which passes 3dmark06 with flying colors but crashes with crysis and other games. the only way i was able to fix the problem was to change brands. it was a shitty 4850 brand (called tripleX), i switched to palit and voila, everything went fine. but since yours is XFX....

is this your psu?

http://www.nox-xtreme.com/products_uk.php?cat=2&type=0&id=25&op=1

its pretty decent.

if after a fresh OS install and it still artifacts its probably a bad card.

for me, and i only speak for myself, once i see an artifact (without any oc) i immediately pack my graphics card and have them ready for service.
December 10, 2009 3:42:03 PM

Yeah, that's the one. Also, I forgot to mention, since I've set up the 4870, windows has been whining about new hardware found, one's "PCI Device", the other "Unknown", and the third one was "UAA BUS High Def audio" or something like that. I've also did a clean install on the motherboard drivers, but it still remains, that's why I'm gonna try to format and see if it fixes most problems...
December 10, 2009 3:53:58 PM

My 4870 artifacts with 9.11 drivers. Using 9.7 atm.
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2009 3:57:53 PM

Yeah, that's the one. Also, I forgot to mention, since I've set up the 4870, windows has been whining about new hardware found, one's "PCI Device", the other "Unknown", and the third one was "UAA BUS High Def audio" or something like that. I've also did a clean install on the motherboard drivers, but it still remains, that's why I'm gonna try to format and see if it fixes most problems... said:
Yeah, that's the one. Also, I forgot to mention, since I've set up the 4870, windows has been whining about new hardware found, one's "PCI Device", the other "Unknown", and the third one was "UAA BUS High Def audio" or something like that. I've also did a clean install on the motherboard drivers, but it still remains, that's why I'm gonna try to format and see if it fixes most problems...

thats the realtek hdaudio device. you can download the drivers @ realtek's official website.
December 10, 2009 4:03:37 PM

Hum, after trying to install the drivers from the CD, i put a check on everything it had, and now I don't get the new hardware found anymore... bad news is, still got artifacts. Gonna try the 9.7 drivers like Cgintz said, if it doesn't work... format (got everything ready to format already), if that doesn't it's definately a card defect.
Thanks everyone for the input so far, although it's not fixed yet I appreciate all the help I can get.
December 11, 2009 1:21:19 PM

Heya, just giving an update. Went back to the store and unfortunately they didn't have another hd4870, it was the last one, so I replaced the 4870 with a new hd5770 and, goodbye artifacts! So it definately was the card.
Sorry about that, must've been the 395834958th thread about the same issue but I couldn't find any solution anywhere.
Anyways, thanks a bunch guys, and I'll see you around. :) 
!