Status
Not open for further replies.

silvergo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
hey, sorry i didnt know where else to post because just 10 mintues ago i got water into my computer and after one successful restart it wont turn on again. The water came from the top of the computer fan and fell into my computer o.0 stupid antec !!!! lol jk, but it got my Mother board wet, top my of 4870 gfx card wet and i believe my CPU, i took it all apart now way should i do. im really just hoping it turns back on but do i get warranty for this? i dont think so either please help i dont want to have to spend more on my 4 month old computer =(

Solution
G
OK

Do not turn it on again right now. If it is in bits still leave it like that, dry of the excess with kitchen roll / absorbent paper. Put all of the bits somewhere warm and dry, say close to a radiator but not on top of one, if you have an airing cupboard stick it in that. Come back after a few days and reassemble it. Water is not that bad for electronics at the kind of voltage PC's run at - it has quite a high resistivity and won't really 'short' low voltage. The one caveat there is the PSU/mains supply - if that got wet damage could result, if it didn't my bet is it will work fine once its dried out.

MothMusic

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009

That sucks man..

Computer cases are not tables!

G

OK

Do not turn it on again right now. If it is in bits still leave it like that, dry of the excess with kitchen roll / absorbent paper. Put all of the bits somewhere warm and dry, say close to a radiator but not on top of one, if you have an airing cupboard stick it in that. Come back after a few days and reassemble it. Water is not that bad for electronics at the kind of voltage PC's run at - it has quite a high resistivity and won't really 'short' low voltage. The one caveat there is the PSU/mains supply - if that got wet damage could result, if it didn't my bet is it will work fine once its dried out.

Solution

silvergo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
thanks stuart, there is one problem i just saw, one area of the motherbaord is pink/yellow, should i send it in for warranty and would they accept it since its 3 years warranty for my p55m UD2 thanks man and yea my power supply i dont think got wet since its at the bottom

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Those spots you see on the chips are just probably "OK" ticks from the manufacturer. It means they have been tested and they are alright.

On the other hand you say you restarted the machine and it worked once. When exactly did you do that? After you spilled the water, BEFORE you dried up everything?
If so, then you can probably kiss your motherboard goodbye. Everything else should be ok though.

Next time just keep all potentially hazardous (to your PC) objects afar. Like you don't smoke near a barrel full of TNT, you do not keep liquids near computer or in general electronic equipment, especially when they have openings on top!!!

I've heard of putting wet electronics like cell phones in a bag of rice before, but a motherboard? I'd be more than a little worried that stray grains would get in all kinds of places where I couldn't get them out -- the PCI slots, in the power connectors, underneath heatsinks, the CPU socket assembly, etc...

I'm not saying this to be rude or anything; I honestly am just curious because I don't know whether it would work or not. I will be interested to know how it turns out.

silvergo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
lol well its basically alrady fried likedarguest says, yea i know i shoulda dried it more before i turned it on. it only restarts now, but should i give it a go tmr when its all completely dry? and yes the rice was my friends idea lol but seems to work cuz if all the rice doesnt fall off it means its sticking to an area with water o.0 lol but yea damnit stupid gigabyte warranty SUCKS no warranty for water damage lol im going asus/intel now lol. but yea should i try reassembling everything agian? thx

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Dude, stop starting it! Get it as disassembled as you can, and leave it alone for a few days. Seriously. Water does not damage electronics, voltage and water damage electronics. The rice, although it could have some complications later on, shouldn't be too big of a deal. At least you didn't put it in a jar of saltines or anything. Leave it off for 72 hours, then try it.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
It depends on the amount of water that dropped in there. If it was tiny, then wait a couple of days and retry it. If it was more than tiny i would replace the motherboard or anything else the water stayed on for some time as it could create corrosions.

Also before you try switching it on, disconnect anything that is not needed (TV cards, sound cards, etc) and also try switching it outside your case (in case there is anything trapped underneath and creates shorts). So just try motherboard, RAM, VGA, CPU and nothing else. If it works, keep adding the rest of your devices to see if anything has gone the dodo way. If everything works ok, then put it back in the case and off you go.

One last thing to note: Stop blaming Gigabyte or anyone else's warranty, since this is your own fault. Grow up and accept your mistake. Sh*t happens and you have to pay for it. At least learn from your mistakes and next time you won't keep your glass of water near it. (Also avoid having cats or other pets nearby as they tend to do the unthinkable! LOL)

silvergo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
yea i deassembled everything and took off the rice, non got stuck btw and some rice were moist so there were some water left o.0, i would say it was like less than a hand full of water ? the video card is the one thing im scared. Should i really try turning it on ? im kinda scared it might blow up any other parts i have. Thx

should i wait 72 hours?

o yea the video card, is it safe to say its ok? or should i RMA it since it still under warranty.

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
You probably won't get too far with an RMA, once they see the remains of the moisture. You might get lucky, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Just be patient, it's the only chance you have of saving some of the hardware (if any).

Oh, come on. Everyone knows a good motherboard warranty will cover damage from water, fireworks, karate chops, and falling off a motorcycle trying to do a wheelie with the board in your backpack. I am shocked -- SHOCKED to hear that something like this wouldn't be covered.

silvergo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
LOL sure, i dont even know why your even here, seriously are you 12? your first reply here was sure like one. and yes no one is here to start anything as you are probably implying, and all my remarks are sarcastic if you can even tell....

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009

You're braver than me! I'd leave that thing sitting in the driest environment possible for a solid week! You really should chalk that up as a lesson learned though. Drinks and PC's don't mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.