Your question

Replacement motherboard for Acer Aspire M3641

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Aspire
Last response: in Motherboards
June 24, 2010 7:05:26 AM

Hi
Hope someone can advise me. After several happy months I started getting lots of freezes under windows 7 with event ID 129 NVStor.

To cut a long story short, after following lots of advice found here and there (incl changing the hard drive) I decided to bite the bullet and replace the motherboard. I'm looking for suggestions as to a suitable motherboard to replace the MCP73PV 333MH, which will:
1) Not use NVIDIA (I think this was were the problem started)
2) fit easilly in the case without straining these fat old arthritic fingers too much.
3) Work with the existing bits and pieces incl. the CPU 2.33GH intel core2 quad Q8200.

Has any replaced the motherboard on a similar machine?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

More about : replacement motherboard acer aspire m3641

a c 435 V Motherboard
June 24, 2010 10:40:46 AM

Check ebay for the same board. Most laptop boards are proprietary, meaning they only fit one case. Have you tried reinstalling windows 7? Or you may have a heat issue. If you can remove the cover, try checking the cpu heatsink and fan and be sure they're working. I use a canned air solvent to clean fans when needed. Frys sells them for about $4. You might even be able to get a better heatsink for the cpu or motherboard chipset. Freezes normally indicate a heat problem.
June 24, 2010 1:52:06 PM

Hi thanks for getting back
The Aspire M3641 is a desktop not a laptop and I believe (sorry hope) a standard micro ATX board will drop in. But just in case there are potential issues I thought I’d ask around firstly to get some good recommendations secondly to make sure there are no “gotchas”.

As regards the problems that started all this, I’m as sure as I can be that heat was not the issue. If you do a search on freeze, NVStor & Nvidia (or words to that effect) you will see that a significant number of people have had similar problems are there does not seem to be a standard solution i.e. for some just swapping the Sata connector on the motherboard will fix it for a while, new hard drive or rolling back to old drivers can also work for some (for a while). If I had to give an opinion (not an expert by a long shot) data being written back to the disk gets screwed and the more you are thrashing the disk the faster and greater the probability that it all goes……………… Windows throws the blame at either the driver or the disk but replace the disk or stick it in another box and test all is fine. The weird thing is this problem only manifests itself after you have been using the machine for quite a while. So to be safe I’m not going to replace the board with a like one nor am I going to use an Nvidia one.

Anyway the old board is now pinned to the front of my dartboard, so got to get a new one.. Any ideas?
Related resources
a c 435 V Motherboard
June 24, 2010 4:41:33 PM

Newegg has the foxconn G41-M board with 4 ddr2 slots for $55 plus $3 shipping that might work for you. It has alot of features for the money, including an hdmi port. Nothing fancy like sli or crossfire support, but it should work fine.
June 24, 2010 4:50:17 PM

Cheers
I'll have a look to see if that is available in Europe, I don't need anything like crossfire.
!