Sign in with
Your question

One computer connects to Wireless network but another one wont'

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 9, 2010 12:30:23 PM

I can connect one laptop computer to my linux network but I cannot connect other laptop computers to the same network. I have verified that the WEP key is correct. Do I have to reconfigure the wireless network and WEP key? Any assistance would be appreciated.
Regards
Rick
a b D Laptop
March 9, 2010 1:35:26 PM

Can the problem laptop(s) be connected via wire? I just want to be sure this a wireless problem specifically and not a more generic network problem affecting both wire and wireless.

And btw, I assume you're using a wireless router, is that correct?
m
l
March 9, 2010 4:29:47 PM

eibgrad said:
Can the problem laptop(s) be connected via wire? I just want to be sure this a wireless problem specifically and not a more generic network problem affecting both wire and wireless.

And btw, I assume you're using a wireless router, is that correct?

Yes I can connect the laptop computer to my home network ( sorry misspelled Linksys as Linux) with an Ethernet wire. I bought a new Toshiba computer last weekend with Windows 7 and tried to connect to my wireless Linksystem using the 26 Character WEP key (which I have verified as correct) and I am unable to connect. I have also tried two new Dell computers one using Window XP and the other using Vista to connect and again am unable to connect.
When this network was setup it was set up for laptop computers. I have run out of my limited knowledge.
I would like to know if I should reset and reconfigure everything because I don't know what else to do.
Thanks
Rick
m
l
a b D Laptop
March 9, 2010 4:47:52 PM

You can always reset the router to factory defaults. That will definitely remove any security, including the administrative password (if any) and wireless security (WEP). Hold the reset button on the back of the router for 30 secs (while powered on, of course) and release. Give it a couple minutes to reboot and try again.

Of course, you'll want to re-establish wireless security ASAP. And frankly, WPA2 (preferred) or WPA would be vastly superior to WEP anyway. WEP has been thoroughly discredited and is relatively easy for anyone worth worrying about to crack. About all WEP is good for is keeping neighbors and other casual leeches off your network. Just be sure to use a high quality key ( http://grc.com/password ) and store it in a safe place (preferably in a text file, on USB flash drive would be ideal).
m
l
Related resources
!