Opinion my my new build

G

Hey guys!

I recently built this computer and I'm wondering what else i can do to enhance it. (i use the computer primarily for gaming)

I have:
i5 cpu
asus maximus iii gene mobo
4gb (2x2gb) corsair dominators ddr3 at 8-8-8-24 latency
ocz vertex 30gb ssd
750w corsair psu
sapphire 4890 1gb video card (and i'm contemplating on whether i should crossfire it with a 4870 512mb)
I also have 4 miscellaneous seagate/wd Hdds for file storage and I run program files off 1 of those drives.)

I also have samsung t240 lcd (24in at 1980x1200 res)

I'm running Win7 Ultimate OS 64bit.

any ideas/opinions?

What does the system not do that you need it to? That's a nice system. I don't know why you would feel the need to "upgrade" it.

You do NOT want to crossfire a 4870 512 with your 4890. That will make your 4890 downclock to the 4870's specs. Crossfiring different cards will always go with the specs of the lowest GPU. A 5850 would be a much better upgrade if you're looking to get better gaming performance than the 4890 can deliver.

In addition to downclocking the 4890 it would also disable half the ram. A second 4890 1GB would make sense if you are not getting the frame rates you want.

Getting a good aftermarket cooler like a Coolermaster Hyper 212 and overclocking the i5 to say 3.6-4GHz might give you a boost also.

G

i've thought about overclocking, but there's that whole thing about the foxconn sockets with these 1156 boards. (and i happen to have a foxconn socket) I've checked the pins after i installed the CPU and it looks like i have good contact though so i suppose if I want to risk it, i could overclock.

banthracis

Distinguished
i've thought about overclocking, but there's that whole thing about the foxconn sockets with these 1156 boards. (and i happen to have a foxconn socket) I've checked the pins after i installed the CPU and it looks like i have good contact though so i suppose if I want to risk it, i could overclock.

Ppl are blowing that error out of proportion. Unless you plan on OC past 4.0 ghz its not an issue.

G

i thought it was just a few ppl fanning the flames. it almost made me put off doing an i5 build.

i've never overclocked before, but my mobo is supposed to be really user friendly with it. would stock cooler be sufficient for light ocing? or do i really need a aftermarket cooler?

and if i do, which is a good one? my friend uses the thermalright 120ultra extreme which has 6 heatpipes, but the xigmateks look pretty cool too. (only has 3 heatpipes tho)

banthracis

Distinguished
Unfortunately OC an i5 w/o increasing the voltage isn't gonna get you far. That's one of its weaknesses vs i7 920. Therefor, you really do need an aftermarket cooler. The whole foxconn issue is that there aren't enough pins connecting to handle the voltages required for 4.0 ghz+ OCing.

One of the best is the Hyper 212. $30
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065&cm_re=hyper_212-_-35-103-065-_-Product

For other options check out frostytech, considered the best source for comprehensive HSF reviews.
http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm