Do u think im pushing the cpu

xXmjzXx

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2012
i have the intel 3570k which stock at 3.4 GHZ i have it at 4.0 right now i have a cpu tester and when its at 100 cpu usage it gets to temps around 68 Celsius and soon as it hits that i stop what is a stable clock i am using a cooler master hyper N520 when its idling it drops it down to like 1.2 when it is idling for power saving and the temp is usually 30c to 37 Celsius let me know what you think if i can or should go any higher.

Solution
Im still using the Phenom II by AMD, but from what I've seen from IvyBridge, you should be fine at those temps. I've seen people in the 80's and be fine. You have to consider that yes, the temps are higher, but IvyBridge CPU's components are much more packed together to make room for the integrated 4000 series graphics. This new design has made it very difficult to keep the temps lower even with a high quality water cooler. I'd make sure your room temp is somewhat cool and that you have good thermal paste on that cooler. Make sure you aren't going too high with those overclocks though unless you have maybe (for example) like an H80 or H100 by Corsair, good luck! Also, even those high temps will keep the CPU around for a solid 5-10...

mclovits

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
Im still using the Phenom II by AMD, but from what I've seen from IvyBridge, you should be fine at those temps. I've seen people in the 80's and be fine. You have to consider that yes, the temps are higher, but IvyBridge CPU's components are much more packed together to make room for the integrated 4000 series graphics. This new design has made it very difficult to keep the temps lower even with a high quality water cooler. I'd make sure your room temp is somewhat cool and that you have good thermal paste on that cooler. Make sure you aren't going too high with those overclocks though unless you have maybe (for example) like an H80 or H100 by Corsair, good luck! Also, even those high temps will keep the CPU around for a solid 5-10 years. Sure it's less than if you had stock clocks,, but the technology will be far outdated by then anyways.

Solution

xXmjzXx

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2012

do you think it would be ok if i go to maybe 4.1 or 4.2. and thank you

tjs4ever

Honorable
May 17, 2012
You will be hard pressed to find a legitimate post anywhere of someone burning out their cpu (unless they are intentionally careless and do a "deathrun"). A CPU generally outlives the rest of the machine. With that in mind, everything is a trade off: I myself can get about 300mhz more out of my overclock, but at the cost of much higher voltage, thus much more heat and fan noise. If you notice the extra .1 or .2 ghz in your daily tasks, then great, otherwise 4ghz is acceptable as a 24/7 OC.

Horsecrap. I answer about 3-4 threads a week here from people who have found that their overclocks get unstable after about 3-4 months. At that point it might not even work at stock factory settings. Overclocking is not a "free" performance boost, it exponentially shortens the lifespan of the processor.

tjs4ever

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Any toasted cpus? These cpus that do not work at stock anymore: are they overclocked 20% (or less) like the op? Unless one is absolutely careless, the cpu will survive the rest of the build.

Toasting a CPU is rare. I've only done it once and it's because my cooling wasn't hooked up and the AC auto restore tripped while I was asleep which resulted in a failed POST and thus no thermal shutoff.

CPUs that are degraded to the point that they don't work at stock anymore are far more common in the lower binned chips as they generally have a lower silicon quality to begin with. Like I said, I get about 3-4 people per week wondering why their precious 2500k which they overclocked to 4Ghz (20%) for the past 6 months has started spitting out BSODs once every 24 hours. There's a reason Intel introduced turbo boost, it was to provide extra performance without taking the processor outside of its thermal design parameters. Processors can run well above their designed operating frequency just fine, they cannot do it for very long.

tjs4ever

Honorable
May 17, 2012
I've had plenty of c2d and c2q just refuse to die; in fact there is a "let's try and kill our Intel chip" thread someplace on oc forum. In any event, why don't we address the OP instead of each other?