Sign in with
Your question

Need a new general computer

Last response: in Systems
December 10, 2009 12:12:39 AM

I am looking to buy a prebuilt system for under 700 dollars minus monitor. Any suggestions would be appriciated. It will be a general use computer with some wow or age of empires 3 but mainly internet and microsoft office use.

More about : general computer

December 10, 2009 2:37:52 AM

$586 AR - not sure if u need kb/mouse/speakers but in any case more than enuff headroom for those $$ wise hehe A small top up for a Samsung F3 500 would be nice too hehe
m
l
December 10, 2009 1:04:54 PM

^ That's a very good budget build. Since there's a $100 left (minus shipping & tax), you might want to look for a 3.0Ghz AM3 CPU if it's not too expensive.
m
l
Related resources
December 10, 2009 1:14:32 PM

Good build. Another option for the extra room in the budget (assuming nothing else is needed) is to spend about $40 to upgrade to an HD 5750 and the rest on a better AM3 CPU. The 5750 would be a little better, stay a little more current with Windows 7, and give you the potential to play more games or watch stuff in full HD.

Another suggestion would be to spend an additonal $8 to get a Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB HDD. This would be faster than the WD in the build.
m
l
December 11, 2009 1:29:30 AM

Negative on downgrading to a dual core - games like GTA4/Dragons Origin will bully all/any dual core - a tricore is far better and the clock speed can be made up with OCing
m
l
December 11, 2009 1:46:58 AM

I think you guys missed the
( I am looking to buy a prebuilt system for under 700 dollars minus monitor. Any suggestions would be appriciated. It will be a general use computer with some wow or age of empires 3 but mainly internet and microsoft office use.) part :) 

m
l
December 11, 2009 2:29:22 AM

@niklas: You're absolutely right. I didn't read the prebuilt part...

@OP: In that case, you're not asking the right people. This section is pretty much dedicated to building your own. I highly recommend you consider building your own, as it's really quite simple, not to mention cheaper and higher quality.
m
l
December 11, 2009 10:17:19 AM

+1 on DIY however if u 100% set on prebuilds do study in detail the *exact hardware* they cram into that price point to ensure they not dumping inferior hardware to you @@
m
l
December 11, 2009 1:10:38 PM

Don't know about newegg, but ncix.com does build a pc for a price for you. Or you can always print out the list of parts, buy local and pay 'em to build it.
m
l
!