Best motherboard for i7

tazzman12

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Hello,
I am thinking about building my own computer and am wondering if it is worth it. I have never taken on this type of task and am wondering if someone knows the basics about computers can this be accomplished. I`m looking to build a kickass computer for graphics and speed. I want to use the i7 processor but not sure which motherboard.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Yes building your own computer is worth it, you get experience, save money and can optimize it perfectly for your needs. Just read some guides, it is pretty straight forward.

Just look for a motherboard which has what you need, it has to be the same socket as the processor. For example i7 is on socket 1156 and 1366, then both of these have different chipsets P55 and X58. If you don't know about this then read up about it. Then just choose a motherboard which fits your requirements, do you need Crossfire/SLI, SATA/ USB 3.

Good luck! Hope that helps.

tazzman12

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Thanks for the information. I have narrowed it down to two cards made by Asus. The P6X58D and the Rampage III Extreme. My primary use my computer for Graphics and some gaming. Any suggestions.

MARSOC_Operator

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

Rampage III Extreme is only for Quad-SLI/CrossfireX. If you are going with a single or dual GPU then this board is pure overkill.

Do you "need" USB 3.0 or Sata6B? If not, then get the Asus P6T. It beats many other fancier boards in tests for much less money.

Do u want use Crossfire or SLI?, I think that the ASUS P6X58D-E is a very solid option for ur needs.