Dell Optiplex Gx280: Os and Graphics?

Hi, I bought an old Dell Optiplex GX280 (the small one) with pentium 4 HT 2.8GHz.

I would like to get an HD graphics card with HDMI for this system. But this raises 2 questions:

Which operating system would be best for HD graphics card and this processor? (Considering XP Pro x64 - But is this compatible?)
Which Graphics card should I get, and would I need to get a new PSU? (my psu is 180W.. Is there a low power card? must be low profile.)

Looking forward to answers!
Sam
12 answers Last reply
More about dell optiplex gx280 graphics
  1. Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

    The OS isn't important as the PSU, independent of the GPU that you buy, you need upgrade your PSU.

    Like you say, is a old rig, so, you can try with Win 7 that install all the drivers. If doesn't work, install XP.
  2. do you mean the small desktop chassis? i have the same... i think it requires half height expansion cards... as far as i know they don't make video cards in that size anymore
  3. gtkakega said:
    do you mean the small desktop chassis? i have the same... i think it requires half height expansion cards... as far as i know they don't make video cards in that size anymore


    I think Low Profile is the same as half size.. Am I right?
  4. saint19 said:
    Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

    The OS isn't important as the PSU, independent of the GPU that you buy, you need upgrade your PSU.

    Like you say, is a old rig, so, you can try with Win 7 that install all the drivers. If doesn't work, install XP.


    Thanks for the OS advice.
    Im thinking of getting the Asus EAH4350 512mb low profile. Link: http://uk.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=sikN0jmrkCWmk1oD&templete=2
    Do you know how much power something like this would take and where i could get a cheap/second PSU.. Ebay?
  5. ^Hi again, this are the power requirements for the HD 4300 series

    1- 300 Watt or greater power supply (350 Watt for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode) is recommended

    You can read this here

    Now, like a personal advice, you should get for a HD4650, the 4350 is a very old GPU.
  6. Do you know if these PSUs are a standard size or if you have to get a small one for my small desktop chassis
  7. You need a small one, the most DELL's PSUs aren't ATX.
  8. any recommendations for a PSU for me?
  9. Well, you PSU is something like this, that is really hard to find one above 300W. The PSU of the link is 280W PSU, that I'm not sure if can work with your 4350.
  10. saint19 said:
    Well, you PSU is something like this, that is really hard to find one above 300W. The PSU of the link is 280W PSU, that I'm not sure if can work with your 4350.


    Could I get a standard ATX PSU and use it externally or hack up the case?
    This would be cheaper plus Im having trouble finding a GX280 SD which has more than 300W.
    I understand that having longer wires could cause a voltage drop but is this really an Issue?
  11. Also, Considering getting a new chassis with standard psu.
    Does anyone know what mother board the Dell GX280 (small desktop) has?
  12. samtfaulkner said:
    Could I get a standard ATX PSU and use it externally or hack up the case?
    This would be cheaper plus Im having trouble finding a GX280 SD which has more than 300W.
    I understand that having longer wires could cause a voltage drop but is this really an Issue?


    Yeah, u can run your PSU externally. I think that with the longer of the wires is enough to connect all the components, so, you don't need extend the wires.

    P.D. The mobo is a m-ATX
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Optiplex Graphics Cards Dell Components