New AMD Build, Mem timigns question

Reanimation

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Ok, so just turned on my first build for the first time, and so far so good! Only thing I noticed so far in the Bios that needs to be fixed, after the OS is installed of course, is the meme timings. I have the following memory...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303&cm_re=Ripjaw-_-20-231-303-_-Product

And as I was told it would, instead of operating at the specified settings, it is at 9-9-9-24. Now, the only thing is, given this is my first build, I am not so sure how to go about fixing this, so before I go searching the web for an hour, I figured I would ask here in case any fellow AMD builder has the same memory and has a quick fix on what they did, or just someone with more knowledge than me can give me a little advice of at least where to look for the information, if not give me the answer completely. The manual has not help, BTW, as far as what to do, and can't find exactly what I am looking for online either, though it is probably myself searching the wrong thing. Little Extra info...

ASUS M4A79XTD Evo
Amd 955 Be
8 Gb ram

Hope this makes sense!

- C

nofun

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
With RAM, the best place to go is usually directly to the manufacturer's forum:
http://gskill.us/forum/

You will have to adjust your RAM timings manually in the BIOS. It's fairly involved, though, and there are a few guides already on the internet.

Just Google "adjust RAM timings, bios"

To adjust the ram speed, you will have to play with the RAM multiplier. AMD boards usually don't like to go faster than 1333 on stock voltages. You can go faster, but you may have to SLOWLY increment your VDIMM and northbridge voltage. There are many guides out there on the internet, and I am certainly no expert, so please google for those and ask the same question on the G.SKILL forums, as they know their own RAM best.

In a nutshell:
The more you tighten your timings and increase your RAM speed, the more voltage you may have to feed it to maintain stability. Too much voltage is not good, though, and can fry your components and board. So you tighten the timings a little bit, then stresstest. If the system is stable go back to the bios and tighten the timings a little more. Stress test until the system proves unstable. Then GRADUALLY increase the VDIMM voltage, stress test again, and repeat until you achieve stability. You can then tighten the timings again if you wish to. Use Prime95 (google for download) or MemTest to stresstest. Watch for artifacts on the screen for a bit, and then let the tests complete themselves.

Again, you may also have to feed a little more northbridge voltage (very carefully) to achieve optimal speeds with that RAM, as the AMD boards usually don't like anything beyond 1333. Once again, please read the internet guides about how to do this properly.