Sign in with
Your question

Synchronizing 1333mhz CPU & MB clock speed and 4GB 800mhz DDR2

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 24, 2010 3:42:11 PM

Hello,

Just bought a gigabyte motherboard and compatable intel quad processor; both at 1333mhz. It is specified that the motherboard will take 667 or 800mhz ddr2.

Consequently bought 4gb 800mhz corsair ddr2

Do i have to overclock in order to optimise the synchronisation between the processor clock and the memory or will the BIOS or something) do it automatically? I am aware the adjustments can be made in BIOS

If you could fill in a few gaps in my knowledge. Thankyou. Rob Cowell.
a c 229 V Motherboard
June 25, 2010 1:26:26 AM

If you want to synchronize the RAM, set it to 667MHz. However it will run just fine at 800MHz.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 25, 2010 1:51:27 PM

Firstly, thankyou very much for your help GhislainG. When you say it will run fine at 800 it implies to me that it will run better at 667. I am wondering whether or not I should replace it with 667 and save a few quid too.

If you could explain why leaving it at 800mhz is 'fine' and the benifits (if any) of synchronising it to 667. The computer will be used for NLE and obviously I want to do the best for my dad.

I must apologise for my ignorance but it is only recently that I have understood the CAS latency numbers on memory. Additionally, that synchronising memory with both the FSB of CPU and MB with RAM is more like having two drummers playing together but one is playing at double time.

I am learning, but not very fast. I still dont get why leaving the RAM at 800mhz is fine but if I want to synchronise it, to drop it to 667.

I am very puzzled and would be extrememly grateful if you could add a little more or point me to a few posts here that I might have missed.

I believe (from a little that I have read here and other forums) that synchronising the memory increases performance and results in a reduction in computer crashes.

I love you all for your help

Yours sincerly

Rob Cowell
a c 229 V Motherboard
June 25, 2010 3:49:28 PM

I have yet to find evidence that synchronizing RAM really makes a difference, but it makes sense for system stability, particularly when overclocking. I'd still recommend DDR2-800, but you can use tighter timings if you run it at 667MHz. Besides, you'll be fine if you ever overclok the CPU by increasing the FSB up to 1600MHz.
!