Sign in with
Your question

$800 Dollars Budget, Need Help Please, Xmas Coming!

Last response: in Systems
December 10, 2009 2:42:28 AM

Hello Everyone, and thanks in advance!

i am building a system with a budget of 800 dollars "allowed" by my wife, which is great of her to do in this economy nowadays.

i work with computers a lot but it's usually with sofware troubleshooting, in my brother's very successful computer business...so, i know a little.

The thing is it's tough to ask him about these things, because he'll have an attitude like a big brother and i don't want to feel embarassed for asking. Plus, the computer he built for me just recently (intel board, core 2) just died on me and i don't want to hurt his feelings because it was free : )

Anyway, if you are still reading (hah), i am all set with everything, but i can't decide whether or not to choose an intel i5 build or an amd phenom II x4 build. i want either of these two, even if you feel i should go another way, please keep in mind i would like it to be either of these two.

i will just need help with the motherboard choice mainly, and possibly the chip (if it's amd, i5 would have to be the 750). my wife wants me to choose this fast, so she can order the parts that i can open on xmas, since this will be my only gift. i want the ati rad 5750, as the gpu, if that's possible, if not please point me in the better direction. i feel ati is better than nvidia right now, but i might be wrong, and if i have an i5 build, i'm not sure if it would be better to go nvidia.

My wife is a librarian, so she got the best version of Windows 7 that they have right now for me, for a cool 40 dollars due to her librarian powers : ) so, you can keep that in mind too. Also, i have HD monitor by HP all set for x64. Sorry, getting long-winded, here is what i will be using it for:

-Gaming (mainly MMos and a lot of shooters)

-Office Applications (Word, Excel etc)

-Music Production (i'm a musician, have sound blaster xfi, [pci] the one with the box thingy that i plug my guitar into... i use acid pro, so mainly i do the mixing on the computer...some of it live mixing, but mostly by recording from digital 8 track onto smart media cards).

-Music Listening (itunes, WMP, i'm addicted to music, so it's always playing).

-Internet

-Newsgroups

That's mainly it, with focus on the music and gaming. No video editing, but i might at some point. Here are other things to consider:

-i don't do overclocking, not an interest of mine, too much of a nervous person, don't want to deal with the hot chips.

-no need for any sli/crossfire/physx etc, i don't think i have the money for it anyway, but maybe someday, so i want the option, but won't be doing it now. Unless necessary.

-want it to last a long time, i am using pentium 4 still, i've had it for awhile... i want a system that won't go obselete tomorrow.

That's about it, i think...so, i just want to know best

CHIP/CHIPSET,
MOTHERBOARD,
GPU (if different from ati 5750)
Power Supply

Thanks for reading and any advice given : )
a b B Homebuilt system
December 10, 2009 3:02:45 AM

SAMSUNG 24x DVD Burner - Bulk SATA Model SH-S243N/ BEBE - OEM
Item #: N82E16827151193
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options)

$30.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Item #: N82E16811119137
-$25.00 Instant $84.99
$59.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822152181
$54.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SAPPHIRE 100283-2L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814102864
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy

$164.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
OCZ Diesel 4GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Model OCZUSBDSL4G - Retail
Item #: N82E16820227331
Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy
-$13.99 Saving $13.99
$0.00

CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ... - Retail
Item #: N82E16817139004

-$15.00 Instant
$20.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
$104.99
$89.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH - Retail
Item #: N82E16820231276
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
$99.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASRock P55M Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813157170

-$10.00 Instant $109.99
$99.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750 - Retail
Item #: N82E16819115215
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
$199.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Subtotal: $800.92

Look for some combos to save a bit more, or if you live by microcenter pickup the i5 750 there for 149.99

Hope this helps let me know if you have question on anything

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

guess i didnt read to well if you want a opition to xfire/sli you will have to add about 80 bucks for a differnt mobo/CPU

My 2 cents stick with a single card setup and just buy a new GPU in a few years
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 10, 2009 4:09:31 AM

$777 AR
m
l
Related resources
December 10, 2009 4:15:34 AM

cerpintaxt said:

i am building a system with a budget of 800 dollars "allowed" by my wife, which is great of her to do in this economy nowadays.

i work with computers a lot but it's usually with sofware troubleshooting, in my brother's very successful computer business...so, i know a little.

The thing is it's tough to ask him about these things, because he'll have an attitude like a big brother and i don't want to feel embarassed for asking. Plus, the computer he built for me just recently (intel board, core 2) just died on me and i don't want to hurt his feelings because it was free : )

Anyway, if you are still reading (hah), i am all set with everything, but i can't decide whether or not to choose an intel i5 build or an amd phenom II x4 build. i want either of these two, even if you feel i should go another way, please keep in mind i would like it to be either of these two.

i will just need help with the motherboard choice mainly, and possibly the chip (if it's amd, i5 would have to be the 750). my wife wants me to choose this fast, so she can order the parts that i can open on xmas, since this will be my only gift. i want the ati rad 5750, as the gpu, if that's possible, if not please point me in the better direction. i feel ati is better than nvidia right now, but i might be wrong, and if i have an i5 build, i'm not sure if it would be better to go nvidia.

My wife is a librarian, so she got the best version of Windows 7 that they have right now for me, for a cool 40 dollars due to her librarian powers : ) so, you can keep that in mind too. Also, i have HD monitor by HP all set for x64. Sorry, getting long-winded, here is what i will be using it for:

-Music Production (i'm a musician, have sound blaster xfi, [pci] the one with the box thingy that i plug my guitar into... i use acid pro, so mainly i do the mixing on the computer...some of it live mixing, but mostly by recording from digital 8 track onto smart media cards).

-Internet

-Newsgroups

That's mainly it, with focus on the music and gaming. No video editing, but i might at some point. Here are other things to consider:

-i don't do overclocking, not an interest of mine, too much of a nervous person, don't want to deal with the hot chips.

-no need for any sli/crossfire/physx etc, i don't think i have the money for it anyway, but maybe someday, so i want the option, but won't be doing it now. Unless necessary.

-want it to last a long time, i am using pentium 4 still, i've had it for awhile... i want a system that won't go obselete tomorrow.

CHIP/CHIPSET,
MOTHERBOARD,
Power Supply

The i5 will outperform even the top Phenom II x4: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-desktop-cpu-cha...
Click on the link above, then add this in the URL box to see the chart: [2780]=on&prod[2884]=on

The 5770 has the firepower of a 4870 but sips energy, generates very little heat, can play modern games at max settings at a 1900 resolution and supports dx11 so its ready for the future.

The GA-P55M-UD2 LGA Motherboard is of great quality and supports i7/i5.

This OCZ power supply is pretty strong so its ready to support extra hdds and others things you put on your rig in the future. Plus its from a name brand, so its very reliable.

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$200

GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
$105 -Free Shipping

OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
$45 -After rebates

HIS H577FN1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail
$165 -Free Shipping
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 10, 2009 4:25:30 AM

Hmm can minus off h/w that is not needed from my config and if TS is on Full HD display a 5770 is several cuts below a HD 5850
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 10, 2009 4:27:46 AM

http://www.techspot.com/review/209-ati-radeon-hd-5770/p...

Quote:
At $160 the Radeon HD 5770 appears to be picking up where the Radeon HD 4870 left off. Unfortunately we found the new card to be running slightly short on performance compared to both the Radeon 4870 and the GeForce GTX 260
m
l
December 10, 2009 4:31:22 AM

batuchka said:
http://www.techspot.com/review/209-ati-radeon-hd-5770/p...

Quote:
At $160 the Radeon HD 5770 appears to be picking up where the Radeon HD 4870 left off. Unfortunately we found the new card to be running slightly short on performance compared to both the Radeon 4870 and the GeForce GTX 260

There neck and neck. The slight decrease in performance isn't significant. Why would anyone suggest a 4870 anyway, its a dead end.
m
l
December 10, 2009 4:33:54 AM

batuchka said:
Hmm can minus off h/w that is not needed from my config and if TS is on Full HD display a 5770 is several cuts below a HD 5850

Your assuming the TS has a full HD display or monitor res over 1900. If not then its a waste of money, and he would be better off with 5770. And why did you go for such a weak cpu with such a massive budget? You didn't even include an after market heatsink.
m
l
December 10, 2009 4:36:01 AM

cerpintaxt said:

-Internet

-Newsgroups

CHIP/CHIPSET,
MOTHERBOARD,
Power Supply

Use this to make all that info more clear:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...

And can you tell us what your monitor resolution is? That will determine what gpu is best for you.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 10, 2009 4:36:12 AM

TS states a 'HD' monitor from HP so this would depend if it is indeed Full HD or not but also clearly stated no OCing and the retail boxed processor includes a stock HSF so i hope u are aware of this ^^ Hmm in fact he only states having a display and OS hehe
m
l
December 10, 2009 4:40:56 AM

batuchka said:
TS states a 'HD' monitor from HP so this would depend if it is indeed Full HD or not but also clearly stated no OCing and the retail boxed processor includes a stock HSF ^^

Well lots of monitors say HD on them so its pointless. What we need to know is the resolution. I forgot he said no OC, his info was to messy, I missed it. But then that underpowered cpu is pointless without including an after market heatsink. The whole point of getting one is that you can get a 965 for cheap by over clocking it. Since the TS is not OCing, then he should pick up a stronger stock cpu like the i5.

Plus hes running other non gaming software that will benefit from a stronger cpu.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 10, 2009 4:45:02 AM

MothMusic said:
Well lots of monitors say HD on them so its pointless. What we need to know is the resolution. I forgot he said no OC, his info was to messy, I missed it.

Live and learn hehe
m
l
December 10, 2009 4:50:31 AM

batuchka said:
TS states a 'HD' monitor from HP so this would depend if it is indeed Full HD or not but also clearly stated no OCing and the retail boxed processor includes a stock HSF so i hope u are aware of this ^^ Hmm in fact he only states having a display and OS hehe

I knew that the cpu came with a heatsink, just I thought I wrote that and I didn't.

Well if I made any errors, its because he didn't use the sticky, that word wall makes finding specific info tricky.

And why do you add "he he" to everything? Is it like an in joke? Or being cute/funny?
m
l
December 10, 2009 4:53:59 AM

batuchka said:
Live and learn hehe

No really. HD is a loose term thats slapped on every other monitor/tv/gadget.
m
l
December 10, 2009 5:55:42 AM

Thank you for all the suggestions, and the time spent on the builds, i realize i only asked for specific parts, but appreciate any advice on any of the build. i was just trying to make it easier and quicker for everyone to respond.

i apologize for not adhering to the template / forum rules. This was my first post, i didn't realize it was so structured here... probably for the best though, as i'm sure you guys are flooded with build help requests. Thank you all again.

the HP monitor i have is 21.5 inches, 1920 x 1080 resolution. So, since i won't be overclocking, the gigabyte board with the i5 chip? And given you know the resolution now, gtx 260 or ati?

Here is the info, following the rules:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP (this week or next)

BUDGET RANGE: $800 (Before Rebates)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, music production, listening to music, office programs, internet

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, case, hard drive

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: doesn't matter

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: either AMD Phenom II x4 or intel i5 chip

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Quiet PC would be nice. Using Windows 7 (whatever the most expensive is called) x64.

m
l
December 10, 2009 5:57:46 AM

cerpintaxt said:
Thank you for all the suggestions, and the time spent on the builds, i realize i only asked for specific parts, but appreciate any advice on any of the build. i was just trying to make it easier and quicker for everyone to respond.

i apologize for not adhering to the template / forum rules. This was my first post, i didn't realize it was so structured here... probably for the best though, as i'm sure you guys are flooded with build help requests. Thank you all again.

the HP monitor i have is 21.5 inches, 1920 x 1080 resolution. So, since i won't be overclocking, the gigabyte board with the i5 chip? And given you know the resolution now, gtx 260 or ati?

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, music production, listening to music, office programs, internet

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Quiet PC would be nice. Using Windows 7 (whatever the most expensive is called) x64.

Its alright, its just computer info and specifications are really specific, one slip up can mess the entire build up. Thats why specific info is required.

I'm going to post a build in a moment, give me a bit...

5770 can do 1900 res with great fps.

m
l
December 10, 2009 6:13:09 AM

cerpintaxt said:

This build has a much more powerful cpu, better ram, better case, better mobo, more appropiate psu and gpu, and $100 under budget compared to Batchuka! :) 

This is the first build, I'm going to post a 2nd build using the i5, so you can choose between the two...

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Retail
$166 -Freeshipping

Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
$70

GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
$70 -After rebate

G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBECO - Retail
$98 -Free Shipping

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$55 -Freeshipping

SAPPHIRE 100283-2L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail
$165

OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
$70

LITE-ON Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04 - OEM
$20 -Freeshipping

Total = $714 -Before rebates
m
l
December 10, 2009 6:28:38 AM

EDIT: Fixed the gpu link.

Core i5 750 Processor Boxed
$200 -Free Shipping

Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
$70

GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
$105 -Free Shipping

G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBECO - Retail
$98 -Free Shipping

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$55 -Free Shipping

$165

$70 -After rebates $40

Total = $765 -Before rebates
m
l
December 10, 2009 6:38:54 AM

Just thought i'd chime in here, IMO you should get this ram for any of these intel builds.

G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBECO $97.99

Ram Specs
Quote:

Main Board intel
System Desktop
System Type DDR3
M/B Chipset Intel P55
CAS Latency 7-7-7-21-2N
Capacity 4GB (2GBx2)
Speed DDR3-1333 (PC3 10666)
Test Voltage 1.35 Volts
PCB
Registered/Unbuffered Unbuffered
Error Checking Non-ECC
Type 240-pin DIMM
Warranty Lifetime

Qualified Motherboards List

ASUS Maximus III Formula
ASUS Maximus III Gene
ASUS SABERTOOTH 55i
ASUS P7P55D Premium
ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
ASUS P7P55D EVO
ASUS P7P55D Pro
ASUS P7P55D
EVGA P55 Classified 200
EVGA P55 FTW 200
EVGA P55 FTW
EVGA P55
EVGA P55 Micro
EVGA P55 LE
MSI P55M-GD45
MSI P55-GD65
MSI P55-GD80
Gigabyte GA-P55 UD3
Gigabyte GA-P55 UD3P
Gigabyte GA-P55 UD3R
Gigabyte GA-P55 UD4
Gigabyte GA-P55 UD4P
Gigabyte GA-P55 UD5
Gigabyte GA-P55 UD6

Also heres the link for the GPU from above since his link goes to the MOBO
m
l
December 10, 2009 6:42:36 AM

sheath said:
Just thought i'd chime in here, IMO you should get this ram for any of these builds.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/20-231-318-Z02?$S180W$
G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBECO $97.99

Quote:

Main Board intel
System Desktop
System Type DDR3
M/B Chipset Intel P55
CAS Latency 7-7-7-21-2N
Capacity 4GB (2GBx2)
Speed DDR3-1333 (PC3 10666)
Test Voltage 1.35 Volts
PCB
Registered/Unbuffered Unbuffered
Error Checking Non-ECC
Type 240-pin DIMM
Warranty Lifetime

Qualified Motherboards List

ASUS Maximus III Formula
ASUS Maximus III Gene
ASUS SABERTOOTH 55i
ASUS P7P55D Premium
ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
ASUS P7P55D EVO
ASUS P7P55D Pro
ASUS P7P55D
EVGA P55 Classified 200
EVGA P55 FTW 200
EVGA P55 FTW
EVGA P55
EVGA P55 Micro
EVGA P55 LE
MSI P55M-GD45
MSI P55-GD65
MSI P55-GD80
Gigabyte GA-P55 UD3
Gigabyte GA-P55 UD3P
Gigabyte GA-P55 UD3R
Gigabyte GA-P55 UD4
Gigabyte GA-P55 UD4P
Gigabyte GA-P55 UD5
Gigabyte GA-P55 UD6

Your right, I'll update the builds thanks for the info.
m
l
December 10, 2009 7:21:54 AM

Thanks a lot for all your time. i'll be following your build almost exactly, but one quick question again (sorry). i'm leaning towards the i5 build, in your opinion is the i5 the better option? Will i get more life out of it? Because the only thing really holding me back is that they say the new AMD chip coming out is going to be compatible with the AM2+ boards, so will going with AMD be a more logical choice in terms of longevity?

And thanks to all the other contributions.
m
l
December 10, 2009 7:32:12 AM

cerpintaxt said:
Thanks a lot for all your time. i'll be following your build almost exactly, but one quick question again (sorry). i'm leaning towards the i5 build, in your opinion is the i5 the better option? Will i get more life out of it? Because the only thing really holding me back is that they say the new AMD chip coming out is going to be compatible with the AM2+ boards, so will going with AMD be a more logical choice in terms of longevity?

AM2/AM2+/AM3 Are sockets that you plug the cpu in on the motherboard. The two means DDR2, and the three means DDR3. So a motherboard that uses AM3 for example, could only use DDR3 ram. Currently DDR2 ram is being phased out so its an obsolete technology.

AM2+ allows new AM3 chips to work on old AM2 motherboards. The motherboard in the amd build only supports AM3, which will be supported still in 2011, so it has a longer lifespan.

Intel never supports its sockets for too long. Every time they come out with new chips, they require new motherboards with the appropriate socket.

The i5 is slightly better than a 955. But not dramatically more powerful. At this budget range, people usually go with an i5. If you want to squeeze out more power go with the i5, If you want to save money and get very close performance, get the 955 instead. Also the 955's socket, AM3, will be supported for several years. So if you want to upgrade to new more powerful cpus, then you can do that with 955.

Use this link to see a chart that compares the i5 to the 955. Just don't copy the things. I had to post the link this way because the forum would keep cutting it off.

I'm glad I can be of some help to you, and your welcome. :) 
m
l
December 10, 2009 7:42:34 AM

cerpintaxt said:

You don't have to apologize for asking questions. Ask as many of them as you want. Remember, the only dumb question is the one that is the one you didn't ask. ;) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 10, 2009 9:18:00 AM

cerpintaxt said:

You are welcomed and enjoy your new rig hehe
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 10, 2009 1:19:36 PM

MothMusic vs. Batuchka, round 3! (lol, you'd have to read some other threads to "get it"). This round goes to...MothMusic!
A few suggestions...
1. I have no evidence it's bad, but I have not yet seen a competent technical review of that 550W OCZ Fatal1ty PSU. It may be great. I have, however, read absolutely glowing technical reviews (with load testing, waveform analysis, etc) of Antec Earthwatts and Truepower, and Corsair VX, HX, and TX PSUs.
2. I agree that a HD5770 is a good choice, particularly on the stated budget and time frame. I'd prefer a HD5850 for ~$225, but who knows when they'll be there.
3. Although Intel's i5 outperforms AMD's PII 955 across the board in benchmarks, I'm skeptical that the difference will be visible, particularly in games. If performance is that big an issue (I don't think it is here), then you'd want to go i7, but that is probably outside the budget.
4. Trying to be "future-proof" is an exercise in futility. A small and likely irrelevant amount of "future resistance" may be provided by socket AM3, which may allow a 6-core CPU to be added later. Socket 1156 will not likely provide this. Socket 1366 might, but clearly busts the budget.

Anyway, have fun with your rig.

m
l
December 10, 2009 1:19:45 PM

If the computer your brother gave you failed recently, how about just replacing the failed part in that? That will certainly come out to less than $800.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 10, 2009 1:25:26 PM

Oh, just noticed something. The optical drive that MM picked is not a burner. If you want to write CDs and/or DVDs, you'll need a burner; perhaps $8-$10 more.
m
l
December 10, 2009 3:36:30 PM

Onus said:
MothMusic vs. Batuchka, round 3! (lol, you'd have to read some other threads to "get it"). This round goes to...MothMusic!
A few suggestions...
1. I have no evidence it's bad, but I have not yet seen a competent technical review of that 550W OCZ Fatal1ty PSU. It may be great. I have, however, read absolutely glowing technical reviews (with load testing, waveform analysis, etc) of Antec Earthwatts and Truepower, and Corsair VX, HX, and TX PSUs.
2. I agree that a HD5770 is a good choice, particularly on the stated budget and time frame. I'd prefer a HD5850 for ~$225, but who knows when they'll be there.
3. Although Intel's i5 outperforms AMD's PII 955 across the board in benchmarks, I'm skeptical that the difference will be visible, particularly in games. If performance is that big an issue (I don't think it is here), then you'd want to go i7, but that is probably outside the budget.
4. Trying to be "future-proof" is an exercise in futility. A small and likely irrelevant amount of "future resistance" may be provided by socket AM3, which may allow a 6-core CPU to be added later. Socket 1156 will not likely provide this. Socket 1366 might, but clearly busts the budget.

Anyway, have fun with your rig.

Why thank you, finally, a victory. :D 

1. Its a solid psu, but any Antec/Corsair psu at 550w costs like $70 and up. :( 

2. If the 5850 was only $200 sure, but right now its $300. But if cerpintaxt wants to get a bigger monitor in the future, he can simply upgrade his gpu, because in the future the 5850 will be cheaper.

3. I agree, the i5 is like only 10% stronger than a 955.

$. If your going to try and be as future proof as possiable, then yea, AM3.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 10, 2009 3:55:28 PM

I just now read some pretty heated criticism of OCZ PSUs, in particular compared to PC Power and Cooling. Mostly it seems they cut corners on some component selections, like the capacitors. They may start out great, but have poor longevity due to the effects of the heat that is naturally found inside a PSU. In the absence of a competent technical review, sadly I think I'll pass on that PSU. Hopefully it will be decent, but until Oklahoma Wolf or Gabriel Torres disects one, I'm not sure I'd take the chance.
m
l
December 10, 2009 4:04:37 PM

Onus said:
I just now read some pretty heated criticism of OCZ PSUs, in particular compared to PC Power and Cooling. Mostly it seems they cut corners on some component selections, like the capacitors. They may start out great, but have poor longevity due to the effects of the heat that is naturally found inside a PSU. In the absence of a competent technical review, sadly I think I'll pass on that PSU. Hopefully it will be decent, but until Oklahoma Wolf or Gabriel Torres disects one, I'm not sure I'd take the chance.

What about this psu? That should be more than enough for either build right?

Antec earthwatts EA500 500W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.0 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply - Retail
$70 -Free Shipping
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 10, 2009 4:12:43 PM

I'm glad the OP was able to sort through all the "my build's better than your build" BS.

MothMusic - Asking the OP to select you as "best answer" makes you look pretty desperate.
m
l
December 10, 2009 4:15:07 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
I'm glad the OP was able to sort through all the "my build's better than your build" BS.

MothMusic - Asking the OP to select you as "best answer" makes you look pretty desperate.

Sorry, I get kinda competitive sometimes..
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 10, 2009 4:20:06 PM

MothMusic said:
Sorry, I get kinda competitive sometimes..

I've noticed. There's not really anything wrong with that. You just have to keep in mind that just because somebody doesn't see things exactly the same way as you, it doesn't make them "wrong". Does it really matter in the end if somebody picks your build suggestion over another one? We're just here to offer advice, not make everybody pick our system or think the same way we do.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 10, 2009 9:43:30 PM

Just keep in mind that most of your power for games will come from your GPU, There are some games that use more CPU power, flight sims for one.

If you look @ the charts http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=363... you can see the i5 750 and 965 are close in FPS give or take depending on the game.

BTW gl with the build
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 10, 2009 10:32:31 PM

Yes, a 500W Antec Earthwatts would be a decent choice for either one.
m
l
!