Coomputer monitor comes on with computer boot then goes black

Lkathol

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
Hello,
Samsung monitor SyncMaster 712, 7 Years old, will come on briefly with windows xp logo and then some text but immediately goes black; green indicator light stays on. Changed monitor, keyboard but same problem exists. Have turned off everything and restarted computer, checked/cleaned cable ends, but no change. Any suggestions?

Clean & reseat the graphics adapter.

DELL-SudheerK

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
My name is Sudheer K and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell.
Would like to help you with some basic steps.
Issue could be related to Operating system or Video card drivers.
Step1 : Tried starting the computer and keep pressing F8 initially. It will give you windows advanced options.
Step2 : Try selecting last know good configuration and check if system is loading fine , if not try Step 1 again
Step 3: Try selecting Safe mode and then check if its loading to windows. If it loads to windows, than try getting into device manager and reinstall the video drivers.
Step 4: If the issue continues , you can also try doing system restore from Safe mode as well.
Try these steps and update me if you need any further help .

Lkathol

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

What is the graphics adapter? The fitting where the monitor cord attaches to the computer I assume? Sorry if that is a dumb question!

Lkathol

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

I am in device manager but don't know which video driver to uninstall. After unistall how do i reinstall? Additionally do I need to be in administrator mode versus user mode?

Lkathol

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
Additionally I did do a system restore prior to this but after the computer is turned on and boots up with the main screen with my icons etc it goes black again within seconds.

DELL-SudheerK

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Hi ,
Issue seems to be with Nvidia drivers itself. We need to check the exact video card name and reinstall the drivers accordingly. I would suggest you to uninstall it complete from control panel >> add/ remove program >> remove the nvidia drivers. Try reinstalling it from nvidia website and check.
How to check the video card on the system : Click on Start >> Run>> dxdiag>> you can the video card information.
Nvidia website : http://www.nvidia.in/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-in
If you are unable to find the exact model of the video card. Try clicking on the option to detect the drivers automatically.
Please let me for further information.
Thanks
Sudheer K

Lkathol

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

DELL-SudheerK

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Hi ,
I would suggest you to reboot the system and get into F8 advanced options. Try selecting safemode with networking instead of safemode which allow you to access internet.
Now I would recommend you to download the automatic drivers from Nvidia website.
Please let me know the status.
Thanks
Sudheer K

Lkathol

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
I have a gotten to the point ont he Nvidia website to detect driver and it required a java update. after attempted java update, it tells me "system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation" so how can i change the setting??? I entered the computer both ways, as an administrator and as owner but still get this message.

jru54

Reputable
May 9, 2014
SOLUTION FOR ME:

Hi folks,

I had this problem with my Videosonic VE170b monitor: after boot, monitor comes on for just about 1-2 seconds then goes to black.

Hitting one of the buttons on the monitor (I think auto-adjust) would bring the monitor back again, but for only the same 1-2 seconds. Repeat hitting the monitor button would again bring it back, but only for 1-2 seconds.

SOLUTION: Mine was solved by changing the display color quality from high (32-bit) to medium (16-bit).
(YES, I had to repeatedly hit the monitor button and quickly move the mouse to do these steps, which was quite challenging)

ALT-CLICK on a blank spot of the desktop; from the dropdown menu, choose PROPERTIES.

Click on the SETTINGS tab, where you'll see COLOR QUALITY dropdown box. Mine was set to High (32-bit).
I clicked on the dropdown arrow and chose MEDIUM (16-bit), and this solved my problem.

Hope it solves yours!