Pentium 945 vs 960

loopmc

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
There is currently an eighty dollar difference between the these two and I was wondering is anyone thought the .2ghz difference was worth 80 bucks. FYI dell optiplex 620, currently running P4 @ 3.6 HT. I use this machine for general purpose stuff, gaming (older games mostly) with occasional video encoding while I build my i7 920 monster. All my encoding software is multiprocessor aware.

Solution
IMO you will not see much of a improvement going from your P4 @3.6HT. The Pentium D family of processors are worthless IMO they are just two P4 chips on one die and are very inefficient. I would not even waist the money on one of those chips if it will allow it atleast go to a core 2 or a pentium dual core which are different then the pentium Ds.
IMO you will not see much of a improvement going from your P4 @3.6HT. The Pentium D family of processors are worthless IMO they are just two P4 chips on one die and are very inefficient. I would not even waist the money on one of those chips if it will allow it atleast go to a core 2 or a pentium dual core which are different then the pentium Ds.

Solution

loopmc

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
so you don't think that doubling the L2 cache will have any impact? 2MB vs. 2x2MB. Unfortunately the Pentium D 960 is the top of the line for this mobo.
Thanks