Best way to flush out a radiator??

iraserei

Honorable
May 24, 2012
What do you think the best way to flush out a new radiator is?

I was wondering if this would be a good and efficient way to flush out a radiator. Submerge a pond pump in a 5 gallon bucket that contains distilled water. Hook up the pond pump to the radiator. Then hook the radiator up to a 5 micron filter that drains back into the bucket. Think this would work?

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
tests1baseline003.jpg

tests1baseline004.jpg

test2flowrates002.jpg

there is a filter on the inlet 50% distilled water 50% Listerine noticed the direction in with I have been flushing all of the parts in one way after the pump so that there is no possibility of something getting caught in the pump a good piece of advice for any one getting new parts flush before you build then wash your hands :lol:

I use a 90/10 mix of distilled water and white vinegar on my stuff,
a five micron filter would be a nice touch but I just cycle in a bucket with no filter for a couple of hours once the loop is rebuilt
I have to flush in situ due to the design of my loop
but yes, your initial set up will work fine, I would build your entire loop, run it into the bucket and cycle for an hour just to flush out, then once its built and in the Rig, run tubes to the bucket and cycle for 2-3 hours, this also serves as your leaktest so make sure your connections are tight and clamped well :)
Quick disconnectors come in very useful for this kind of set up :)
Moto

nope, usual advice is throw some white vinegar in there, cover the plugs with your thumbs and slosh like hell, I'm lazy and prefer cycling a mix as mentioned for a few hours then rinsing when I come back with plain distilled, before draining that and refilling the working loop with fresh,
soaking won't damage it but you would have to rinse the rad with distilled afterwards
Moto

Are you related to Monty Python?
lol, you don't want bits from the lemons flesh on the block,
just juice the lemon into a cup, throw in a teaspoon of salt, mix and then dip the toothbrush into that, scrub block till shinyclean (2 mins max as you are playing with Chloric acid and left too long it will cause problems)
rinse very well (you can rinse under a tap but then need to re-rinse with distilled)
air dry and rebuild,
oh, and before/after pics for us lot please :)
Moto

I wouldn't, its totally overkill, those 250Ml bottle are designed for a 70L cooling system, a Pc loop is on average 1-2L so the concentration would be massively ott even if you scaled it down
I believe it works through the heating of the liquid (which wouldn't happen with a Pc loop to the temp required, let alone when its not part of a running loop)
plus you would still need to flush that stuff out with distilled afterwards,
good for cars/Bikes, not for Pc's in my opinion
Moto