Sign in with
Your question

Eyayfinity setup

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 10, 2009 4:21:20 PM

whats the best way to set up eyefinity? i have now 2 monitors and my tv pluged into the 5780 but i only seem able to get 2 to work at the same time, is there more soft/hard ware i need to get this to work?
thanks

More about : eyayfinity setup

December 10, 2009 4:34:45 PM

If you do not have a DisplayPort monitor then you can only use two outputs.

You can use a powered adapter to convert the DP for about $100 or so. A simple cable adapter doesn't work to convert the DP version on the Radeon to HDMI/DVI. (there is a powered version of the DP spec that can be adapted, but its not what the Radeon is using)

ATI went for a cheap solution to keep the price down - all 6 output pipes share a common timing source. Which is what is "special" about DP and why its they used it. ATI should have leaned a LOT harder on Samsung or waited for better supplies of monitors before launching Eyefinity.

a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2009 5:11:33 PM

If nobody releases tech to push other tech forward then nobody will push tech forward...

In the end, ATI are doing what they have to do - the tech is there and Samsung weren't gonna create 3 screen setups without tech that takes advantage of it being available.

As it is, you can run eyefinity on 3 monitor setups with a DP monitor or an active adaptor. It costs a little more than was expected but chances are it's still a lot cheaper than buying a gtx280 last year.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 10, 2009 5:42:22 PM

Indeed you will need a ~$100 active DisplayPort to HDMI converter if you dont have a monitor that already has a DisplayPort input.

I thought the ATI Samsung deal was to make a monitor that has an ultra thin bazil.
December 10, 2009 7:03:46 PM

ok thanks just to make sure i got this right, i need a monitor that has a displayport, which by sounds of it are very few and then if i do have the right monitor i still need a displayport adapter?
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 10, 2009 8:36:23 PM

If you have a Displayport monitor you will be set. If not then you will need that adapter. In order to use Eyefinity you have to use 2 ports out of the 2 DVI and HDMI and the third has to be the Displayport output.
December 14, 2009 11:45:08 PM

jennyh said:
If nobody releases tech to push other tech forward then nobody will push tech forward...

In the end, ATI are doing what they have to do - the tech is there and Samsung weren't gonna create 3 screen setups without tech that takes advantage of it being available.

As it is, you can run eyefinity on 3 monitor setups with a DP monitor or an active adaptor. It costs a little more than was expected but chances are it's still a lot cheaper than buying a gtx280 last year.

Ah, but they had already signed the deal to make a branded monitor and the board specs were already locked in.

There is only *1* 23" DP monitor, and 2 viable options for 24". (at least that I could find in "stock.") Dell and HP have 24" displays you can order, and NEC has the 23" available -- as far as I know ALL of these are only available via mailorder.

The irony is I can't find a single Samsung DP panel in any size. They announced one a few years ago, but its not available that I can find. No idea why ATI did a pre-announcment for their vapourware.

----
Edit: I didn't mention the larger 30" monitor options because they are less likely to be Eyefinitied -- with only 1 or 2 monitors there is no point in getting a DP.
!