Eyayfinity setup

whats the best way to set up eyefinity? i have now 2 monitors and my tv pluged into the 5780 but i only seem able to get 2 to work at the same time, is there more soft/hard ware i need to get this to work?
thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about eyayfinity setup
  1. If you do not have a DisplayPort monitor then you can only use two outputs.

You can use a powered adapter to convert the DP for about $100 or so. A simple cable adapter doesn't work to convert the DP version on the Radeon to HDMI/DVI. (there is a powered version of the DP spec that can be adapted, but its not what the Radeon is using)

ATI went for a cheap solution to keep the price down - all 6 output pipes share a common timing source. Which is what is "special" about DP and why its they used it. ATI should have leaned a LOT harder on Samsung or waited for better supplies of monitors before launching Eyefinity.
  2. If nobody releases tech to push other tech forward then nobody will push tech forward...

In the end, ATI are doing what they have to do - the tech is there and Samsung weren't gonna create 3 screen setups without tech that takes advantage of it being available.

As it is, you can run eyefinity on 3 monitor setups with a DP monitor or an active adaptor. It costs a little more than was expected but chances are it's still a lot cheaper than buying a gtx280 last year.
  3. Indeed you will need a ~$100 active DisplayPort to HDMI converter if you dont have a monitor that already has a DisplayPort input.

I thought the ATI Samsung deal was to make a monitor that has an ultra thin bazil.
  4. ok thanks just to make sure i got this right, i need a monitor that has a displayport, which by sounds of it are very few and then if i do have the right monitor i still need a displayport adapter?
  5. If you have a Displayport monitor you will be set. If not then you will need that adapter. In order to use Eyefinity you have to use 2 ports out of the 2 DVI and HDMI and the third has to be the Displayport output.
  6. jennyh said:
    If nobody releases tech to push other tech forward then nobody will push tech forward...

In the end, ATI are doing what they have to do - the tech is there and Samsung weren't gonna create 3 screen setups without tech that takes advantage of it being available.

As it is, you can run eyefinity on 3 monitor setups with a DP monitor or an active adaptor. It costs a little more than was expected but chances are it's still a lot cheaper than buying a gtx280 last year.

Ah, but they had already signed the deal to make a branded monitor and the board specs were already locked in.

There is only *1* 23" DP monitor, and 2 viable options for 24". (at least that I could find in "stock.") Dell and HP have 24" displays you can order, and NEC has the 23" available -- as far as I know ALL of these are only available via mailorder.

The irony is I can't find a single Samsung DP panel in any size. They announced one a few years ago, but its not available that I can find. No idea why ATI did a pre-announcment for their vapourware.

----
    Edit: I didn't mention the larger 30" monitor options because they are less likely to be Eyefinitied -- with only 1 or 2 monitors there is no point in getting a DP.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards TV Monitors Graphics