Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CPU

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Performance
  • CPUs
  • Gaming
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share

Which would be the best gaming cpu in $100- $200 range??

Total: 25 votes (6 blank votes)

  • AMD Phenom 2 X4 965 BE
  • 5 %
  • AMD Phenom2 X4 955 BE
  • 19 %
  • AMD Phenom2 x4 945
  • 0 %
  • AMD Athlon2 X4 630
  • 5 %
  • Intel core2 quad Q8400
  • 5 %
  • Intel core2 quad Q9300
  • 0 %
  • Intel core2duo E8500
  • 5 %
  • Intel core i5 750
  • 60 %
  • AMD Phenom2 X3 720
  • 5 %
  • AMD Athlon X2 7850
  • 0 %
December 10, 2009 4:19:28 AM

Considerations:

1.Overclockablity
2.Price to performance ratio
3.Gaming performance

More about : cpu

a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 10, 2009 4:21:44 AM

I voted for the core i5 because motherboards can support both xfire and sli.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 10, 2009 4:54:24 AM

i5 - For the reasons above and also newer socket
X4 955 - A solid CPU with nice overclocking ability and even with a $80 mobo can overclock well...
X3 720 - If mainly for gaming, then no doubt this is the best value - So with the money saved, buy a faster graphics card...
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 10, 2009 11:20:27 AM

955 for the price/performance. I almost don't consider the i5 at $199.99 as under $200 because the GOOD motherboards are typically more expensive.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 10, 2009 12:08:58 PM

Alright. Fixed my previous post. Better?
December 10, 2009 12:28:01 PM

This post is stupid, tell us what you want to do with the machine and your overall budget and then we can answer more objectively.

Those are all good processors, but it depends on the price point you're trying to match
December 10, 2009 12:55:19 PM

nofun said:
This post is stupid, tell us what you want to do with the machine and your overall budget and then we can answer more objectively.

Those are all good processors, but it depends on the price point you're trying to match

hey I want to spend around $800(max) for upgrading of my system...I am considering to spend those bucks only on cpu,mobo,ram and a graphics card...but I have fixed my gfx to be a HD 5850...Hope this is helpful :fou: 
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 10, 2009 1:08:36 PM

So $400 for the CPU/Mobo. Still a stupid topic.

If it's just gaming, i5 all the way. No need for any of the options besides the 955.
December 10, 2009 1:12:14 PM

MadAdmiral said:
So $400 for the CPU/Mobo. Still a stupid topic.

If it's just gaming, i5 all the way. No need for any of the options besides the 955.


oops u forgot the memory :sarcastic: 
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 10, 2009 1:16:54 PM

No I didn't. RAM won't cost more than $100. The 5850 should be around $300. $800-300-100=$400 for the CPU/Mobo.
December 10, 2009 1:40:22 PM

sayantan said:
hey I want to spend around $800(max) for upgrading of my system...I am considering to spend those bucks only on cpu,mobo,ram and a graphics card...but I have fixed my gfx to be a HD 5850...Hope this is helpful :fou: 


Sorry, I've been having one of those mornings. The only stupid question is the one which isn't asked. Thank you for the information, though, with this we can better assist you in maxing out your performance for that price window.

Will you be looking to crossfire down the road? This is important because if the answer is a definite no, then we can reduce the cost of your mobo considerably.
December 10, 2009 1:50:19 PM

nofun said:
Sorry, I've been having one of those mornings. The only stupid question is the one which isn't asked. Thank you for the information, though, with this we can better assist you in maxing out your performance for that price window.

Will you be looking to crossfire down the road? This is important because if the answer is a definite no, then we can reduce the cost of your mobo considerably.

Well I am not lookin for a CF config as I change my system after every two years or so .. :whistle: 
December 10, 2009 2:40:54 PM

sayantan said:
Well I am not lookin for a CF config as I change my system after every two years or so .. :whistle: 


Oh wow, well in that case sir, check out this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/budget-p55-motherboard,2436.html


GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 & i5-750 Combo $320
  • i5 because Hyperthreading doesn't really help all that much in gaming. Maybe in a few years we will see this technology incorporated into games, but right now an i7 doesn't really do anything for you besides give you a little bit faster clock speed (but the i5 still OCs like a champ).
  • The GA-P55A- series supports USB 3.0, Sata 6, and has a Lotes Socket, as opposed to a Foxconn socket on the GA-P55- series. Otherwise it's the same board.

    XFX HD-585A-ZNDC Radeon HD 5850 $340
  • Double Lifetime Warranty, so you can resell later if you want to

    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3 1333 (7-7-7-21) $100


    Grand Total: $760








    You can certainly get away with an AMD build and get the HD 5870 instead. That will actually probably give you better gaming performance. The i5 is a better chip.
    December 10, 2009 2:44:19 PM

    MadAdmiral said:
    No I didn't. RAM won't cost more than $100. The 5850 should be around $300. $800-300-100=$400 for the CPU/Mobo.



    Btw man, congrats on getting Regular!
    a b à CPUs
    a b 4 Gaming
    December 10, 2009 3:11:48 PM

    Quote:
    All those processors can be fit with motherboards that support xfire and sli. LOOL



    Perhaps I should have been more clear. Certain core i5 boards can support BOTH x-fire and SLI. where amd boards will support one or the other.
    a c 77 à CPUs
    a b 4 Gaming
    December 10, 2009 6:01:13 PM

    That's not true. Only AMD motherboards with an Nvidia chipset support SLI.

    Not all LGA1156 and LGA1366 motherboards support SLI. Nvidia charges for SLI certification, so the cheap boards don't support SLI.
    a c 77 à CPUs
    a b 4 Gaming
    December 10, 2009 6:40:20 PM

    Just because it has two PCI-E slots doesn't mean it supports SLI. It's a given that it supports Crossfire, but the board has to specifically state that it supports SLI. Like I said, Nvidia charges a licensing fee for SLI certification. The cheap LGA1156 and LGA 1366 boards don't support SLI.

    Do some Google searching if you don't believe me. I thought that was pretty common knowledge.

    Take the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R as an example. There is an SLI and a non-SLI version available.
    a b à CPUs
    December 10, 2009 6:54:54 PM

    1
    a c 77 à CPUs
    a b 4 Gaming
    December 14, 2009 7:46:55 AM

    Sure, you may be able to hack a BIOS on some boards, but are you really basing your information off of Newegg reviews?

    Go buy this motherboard and try to run SLI on it. Let me know how that works out for you. It WON'T work, no matter what you say.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

    http://www.trustedreviews.com/motherboards/review/2009/...

    "The P6T supports both SLI and CrossFire X but the P6T SE does away with SLI support and only supports CrossFire X. This change means that Asus doesn't have to pay a license fee to Nvidia and as a result the price dips below £160."

    http://tech-reviews.co.uk/reviews/asus-p6t-se-x58-i7-mo...

    "The SE was designed to be a cheaper alternative to the original P6T and was made possible by removing SLI support (so CrossFire only)"
    a b 4 Gaming
    December 14, 2009 7:56:05 AM

    Shortstuff is correct, some motherboard manufacturers choose not to buy the rights to SLI from Nvidia for some boards. How many PCI-e x16 slots the board has, and what some people on newegg say is irrelevant.
    !