Sign in with
Your question

I7 860 VERY SLOW BOOT and POST! Please HELP

Last response: in Systems
December 10, 2009 4:58:41 AM

I recently built a new system using the components listed in my signature below. Average system boot time is almost 5 mins with 4 of those mins being after post, during OS load .

I have tried reinstaling OS twice. Ive tried boooting with diagnostic startup. Ive tried registry fixing software. Nothing helps. Could this be a BIOS problem?

Other than super slow boot time the system performs very well. This is my first Core i7 build and benchmarks seem to be where they should. It is very frustrating when trying to overlcock and having to wait 5 mins every time I have to reboot.

Also I sometimes turn my PC off at night and boot times the next day are about twice as long at 10 mins. During cold boots POST also takes several minutes.

Please Help!

More about : 860 slow boot post

December 10, 2009 8:51:10 AM

I feel your system isnt getting sufficient power....changing the psu might help :whistle: 
m
l
December 10, 2009 9:28:37 AM

power isnt a problem, since thats a corsair hx.
m
l
Related resources
December 10, 2009 10:42:25 AM

Make some hard drive benchemarks. Most probable cause of slow boot times are slow hard drives.
I have had problems with slow boot times when using on board raid controller. It actually dropped my preformance instead of increasing and i had to re-create the RAID. (i was also doing raid 0)

You should expect more than 150mb/s from your drives in raid 0
m
l
December 11, 2009 6:40:26 PM

Got this answer for LSDMEASAP Gigabyte Forum at Tweaktown.com

Quote:
Please use the latest BIOS located here, and flash with Qflash NOT @BIOS (Guide link second)
Gigabyte Latest BIOS

BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

After your flash be sure you are loading optimized defaults and save/apply/reboot back to the BIOS before making changes.

You should have your OS drive (RAID Array) in SATA2_0 and SATA2_1 (Blue), then your CD/DVD Drive in SATA2_5. If you do not have this now you need to move your array into this order, which may mean a reinstall is needed. So if you do need to move them, and need anything on your system make a backup first so you are prepared in case you do need to reinstall which is often the case.

I had RAID HDDs in Sata2_0 and Sata2_1, but DVD Drive in Sata2_2. After moving DVD to Sata2_5, problem solved. I still went ahead and flashed new BIOS version though. Of course I forgot to write down my stable overclocks I had saved and lost them after flashing. Kinda suks but I think Ill live.
m
l
!