darksora269

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Okay, I decided now would be a good time to start building my computer since I've all the parts except my Mobo, so I'm just putting in a few things that I know work (HDD, CD drive, PSU).
While I was screwing it in... It stayed in. But not in a good way. When I turn it the other way to UNscrew it, it just keeps spinning and spinning. I don't know if there's anyway I can fix this but if anyone knows a way, if any, please tell me. If I've to totally open up my CD drive, like somehow open it, to get the case and the CD drives shell to catch the threads of the screw, it would be so helpful because I'm panicing, don't ask me why, being my first build, isn't a good start.

What part did you have trouble with?

I find it is better to test everything outside of the case before mounting them in the case.
If your mobo does not have a power switch, a screwdriver to the pwr pins will get it started.

I suggest you remove everything that you can.

If one of the screw threads is stripped, it is not too bad. everything will get held in place with fewer screws.

If push comes to shove, you may have to drill out the offending screw.

If there is any metal loose, get it out of the case or you could cause a short.

I find a #2 philips head screwdriver with a magnetic tip is most useful. Just be careful where you put it.

darksora269

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

The only problem I'm having was to unmount the DVD drive. I screwed it in, and I've tested it and it worked fine. It only ran for about 5 minutes before I mounted it. It's when I try to unscrew it. When I try to, the screw just continues to spin as if it ran out of thread. It keeps spinning, and it spins in both directions evenly well. I've tried pulling on the panel while trying to push the DVD drive away from the head of the screw to try to get the thread to catch the shell of the CD/DVD drive.

I don't have a good image of the dvd mount, what case is it?

You could try to grip the screw with a vise grip and try pulling and turning it.
You might even be able to pull the screw out and abandon using that location to secure the dvd drive.

darksora269

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

It's a Antec DF-85. You screw in the screws from the side.
o8udqc.jpg

darksora269

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

I've tried a slanted flat head looking screw driver with a slit in the middle just like the but of a hammer and tried unscrewing it. There's almost no room to fit it but I used as much power as I could to push it under and unscrew it. Is there anyway I can contact Asus or Antec and report to them about this? Nobody else that used this item out of the reviews I've read have had this issue.