Sign in with
Your question

Wired/wireless home network setup questions

Last response: in Networking
December 4, 2009 9:57:16 PM

My home network has recently grown to the point that I need some help with it. I want to set it up with a mix of wired and wireless connections. I was previously doing this by running everything I could on the wireless connection and plugging everything else in to the ethernet ports on the wireless router. I just outgrew the available 4 ports so I bought an 8-port switch and wired my whole house with cat5e. When I tried to add the switch I ran into some problems. I tried connecting them in various ways, but none of them seemed to work. I tried modem>switch>wirless router (WAN port); modem>wireless router (WAN port)>switch; modem>switch>wireless router (numbered port); and modem>wireless router (numbered port)>switch. Any way that I hook them up it seems that either the wireless devices can connect but the wired devices cannot, or vice versa.

Also, I have been having problems with the wireless network for a while now. When friends come over and try to connect their laptops, they cannot connect and some of the other permanent wireless devices on the network lose their connections. It seems like there is an IP address conflict but I really don't know how to fix it.

Here is my setup:

- ISP = Comcast
- Modem - Motorola SB5100
- Switch - Netgear GS108 (8-port gigabit switch)
- Wireless Router - Linksys WRT110
- Cat5e cable run to all stationary systems
- Wireless connection for all laptops and mobile phones

The devices on the network are:

WIRED:
- My desktop PC (I would like to control the network from this PC)
- Roommate's desktop PC
- My Xbox 360
- Roommate's Xbox 360
- HTPC
- Cable box/DVR
- Windows home server

WIRELESS:
- My laptop
- Girlfriend's laptop
- Roommate's laptop
- My mobile phone
- Girlfriend's mobile phone
- Roommate's mobile phone
- Any temporary connection needed by visitors

Thanks in advance.
December 5, 2009 12:46:36 AM

Modem to WAN port on Router. Switch to a numbered port on router.

This will leave you with 3 ports on Router, and 7 on switch.

The wireless issue sounds like IP conflict. Most routers share 50 IPs via DHCP by default. So unless you are using 50 devices it should be fine. But you would want to check those settings to make sure it's not set lower.

Routers do die, and it could also be this one is starting to go, if it's dropping computers to let others on.

Also if everyone was burning network all at once like streaming movies/HD, downloading, etc could be the router is choking.
m
l
December 5, 2009 1:04:06 AM

scaye said:
Modem to WAN port on Router. Switch to a numbered port on router.

This will leave you with 3 ports on Router, and 7 on switch.

The wireless issue sounds like IP conflict. Most routers share 50 IPs via DHCP by default. So unless you are using 50 devices it should be fine. But you would want to check those settings to make sure it's not set lower.

Routers do die, and it could also be this one is starting to go, if it's dropping computers to let others on.

Also if everyone was burning network all at once like streaming movies/HD, downloading, etc could be the router is choking.

Is that 50 concurrent devices or 50 devices past and present? There may have been more than 50 devices that have come and gone from the network. I checked the router settings and it does say DHCP is enabled and allowing 50 IP addresses. Come to think of it, I should probably check to make sure I don't have any static IP addresses assigned within the DHCP range.
m
l
December 5, 2009 5:11:21 AM

50 concurrent.
m
l
!