Sign in with
Your question

Keyboard fn keys not working, touchpad acting up and other strange symptoms

Last response: in Motherboards
June 24, 2010 8:18:06 PM

Hello,
About a month ago my HP Pavillion dv2700 Notebook started acting up after a windows update (windows 7)
Here are the symptoms:

- Can only start up off of battery, if AC has been plugged in before start-up and i power it on it beeps loudly (1 long 2 short) continuously and the screen stays black. (I can plug it in after it boots up though)

- Windows stopped loading (Hangs at "starting windows") so i used my Ubuntu disk to wipe the hard drive and install Ubuntu.

- Fan runs at full speed

- Touchpad works but doesn't lock, lock light/button blinks in synchronization with battery light (orange then blue)

- Keyboard FN(function) keys don't work at all (if they have a function, they don't work at all)
so i plugged in an external usb keyboard to install ubuntu and use my laptop.

Ubuntu runs perfectly but the hardware is still acting strange

when i try to install Windows 7 again it hangs at "Starting windows" i run it in safety and it freezes at "DRIVERS\disk.sys"

Any suggestions?
Thanks! -Nick
June 24, 2010 8:59:45 PM

update and flash your bios, might solve your problems.
m
l
June 24, 2010 9:07:10 PM

I tried :[ But im on Linux i tried booting "FreeDOS" and running "phlash16.exe" (i know i left out a lot but you should know what that is) and i have the latest bios version but it gave me the error "Cannot flash when memory manager (e.g. EMM386) is present" (or something along those lines)
m
l
Related resources
June 24, 2010 11:12:11 PM

bump

anyone know anything?
m
l
December 19, 2011 5:06:53 AM

Hey men, It's so later but I have the same problem in Colombia and I don't trust in Colombian computer technicians. Do you have any idea the cause of the problem? or How do you solve it?

Thanks so much
m
l
!