Sign in with
Your question

Help with HD PVR/HTPC

Last response: in Systems
December 10, 2009 12:54:58 PM

Ok, I’m about to build my HTPC/PVR but I think I’m missing something.

Here’s what I have: large screen LCD, Comcast HD Box, Receiver for surround sound and for switching between game box and HTPC.

My HTPC/PVR will be used for watching DVD’s (BluRay and standard), streaming video, watching HD from the Comcast box, web browsing, and time shifting/PVR function.

Here’s my config so far:
ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO
4 gig DDR3 1333
2x 1T WD Caviar Green
LG Blu Ray
Hauppauge HD PVR
Wireless Keyboard/Mouse
Lian Lee Lian Li PC-C37B case
Windows MCE

The Haup PVR will go between Comcast box and HTPC.

What do I use as a remote control for playback of DVD’s on the PC? I feel like I’m missing a IR somewhere.

Thanks
Wes

More about : pvr htpc

December 10, 2009 1:23:01 PM

Usually, the TV tuners have an option to come with a remote. If the one you choose didn't get a different one. You may need two cards anyway.

Another option is a media center case. Many of these will have a remote with it.

Have you bought the parts yet, cause I have a couple suggestions/questions.

First off, what's your CPU?

Second, what's your GPU? The new ATI HD 5750/5770 are perfect for HTPCs. Read the new(ish) review on them.

Third, you should replace those WD drives with Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TBs or Seagate 7200.12. Both of these will be cheaper, faster and quieter.
December 10, 2009 5:29:20 PM

The Hauppauge HD PVR is not a TV Tuner. It does come with a remote (the one on Newegg does), but it doesn't look like it's MCE compatible. To control your HTPC's Media Center, you'll need a separate remote control like this one.

-Wolf sends
Related resources
December 11, 2009 2:49:41 PM

MadAdmiral said:
Usually, the TV tuners have an option to come with a remote. If the one you choose didn't get a different one. You may need two cards anyway.

First off, what's your CPU?

Second, what's your GPU? The new ATI HD 5750/5770 are perfect for HTPCs. Read the new(ish) review on them.

Third, you should replace those WD drives with Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TBs or Seagate 7200.12. Both of these will be cheaper, faster and quieter.

My CPU is: AMD Phenom II X4 905e Deneb 2.5GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 65W Quad-Core Processor and 4gig of DDR3 1333

My MB is: ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO, which has integrated ATI Radeon HD 4200 GPU. This seems plenty of power for HD processing.

Thanks for the drive tip. I'm switching to the Seagates.

The Haup HD PVR comes with a remote. I'm switching from MCE to either MediaPortal or SageTV or BeyondTV. It seems they all have similar features. I'll probably start with MediaPortal.

thanks
Wes

December 12, 2009 6:27:16 PM

OK! Now I'm getting somewhere...which of course has led me to a new question.

So, I'm going to have the config mentioned, but there will be an ATI Cablecard tuner instead of the Haup HD PVR.

The ATI is plugged into the HTPC via USB port and is controlled by Windows 7 Media Center. I'm also going to have a receiver in between the HTPC and the display and speakers.

What is the best way to remote control all HTPC/MC/Receiver? I want to use a Logitech Harmony to control everything. I'll also have a RF keyboard.

I can probably get a MCE Remote/Receiver/Transmitter. Throw out the remote and replace with my Logitech. Although, I don't think that will control my receiver.

I'll need to throw in a Cables2Go IR repeater.

What the simplest way to control MCE and Receiver from a universal remote?

thanks for your thoughts?

!