Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD install

Last response: in Storage
November 15, 2011 10:54:30 AM

Hello, days ago I asked you how to spend my hard earned money! I finally got my SSD.
here're the question!
There are a billion different view on how to improve the life of an SSD.
I cleaned up the pc and I noticed that I still have something like 230,000 files and 28,000 folder in the OS partition!
I didn't dare touching any of those folder which I'm not sure I can move/delete.
How can I prevent that so many file/folder build up in the new drive?

but the real question is:

I use the pc mainly for entertainment/surfing.
I plan to use the new ssd for 2/3 years.
Do I really need to move all my folders on a different partition? use a browser installed elsewere? read the specific guide on each piece of software to keep the ssd fast?

I would like to thank you for your time in advance! although my first computer was a commodore 64 I try to learn only the stuff I need! I discovered the fragmenting only before switching for Vista (by the way, i never noticed any improvement, and I have something like 4 Gb of junk home, plus the other tens I threw away) thank you :-)

More about : ssd install

Best solution

a b G Storage
November 15, 2011 11:09:27 AM

No. Just keep your SSD as empty as possible by lowering the pagefile (if you have enough RAM), disable hibernation (you already boot fast enough), make sure it is aligned properly, in AHCI, TRIM is on and have your files like movie, music, photos and documents on HDD (SSD space is precious), no defrag, log off your account once every week for few hours for garbage collection, as well as system restore off with scheduled system image backup (you don't know when SSD will fail, just like an HDD).

SSD is a performance part, so you want to keep up with the tech, just like CPU and GPU. You upgrade after 2-3. When it is old and slow compare with newer drive, you get a new one. Longevity (wearing of write cycle) is not the primary concern. Should last until your next upgrade unless there is some manufacturing defect or you brick it by firmware upgrade.
November 15, 2011 11:54:20 AM

Pyree said:
No. Just keep your SSD as empty as possible by lowering the pagefile (if you have enough RAM), disable hibernation (you already boot fast enough), make sure it is aligned properly, in AHCI, TRIM is on and have your files like movie, music, photos and documents on HDD (SSD space is precious), no defrag, log off your account once every week for few hours for garbage collection, as well as system restore off with scheduled system image backup (you don't know when SSD will fail, just like an HDD).

SSD is a performance part, so you want to keep up with the tech, just like CPU and GPU. You upgrade after 2-3. When it is old and slow compare with newer drive, you get a new one. Longevity (wearing of write cycle) is not the primary concern. Should last until your next upgrade unless there is some manufacturing defect or you brick it by firmware upgrade.

thanks for you prompt answer! I already cancelled the page file, although I read on taskmanager: Kernerl memory Mb 305.
when I go to the windows to lower the pagefile I read total paging file size :currently allocated 0, minimum allowed 16.
Isn't it better to set 16 mb? just to please the OS :-)

I read a guide on http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-solid-state-dr...
but is 2 years old! isn't there another good guide? from a trusted site which makes easy?

thanks Pyree. The last thing I would like to ask you is:

You said
have your files like movie, music, photos and documents on HDD
does it mean I should change the destination folder from the registry? or I simply download the stuff from the browser and utorrent straight to the HDD?

thank you!
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
November 15, 2011 11:57:14 AM

16MB will be fine.

Simply move the download folder to an HDD.

You wouldn't want family holiday photo or HD video which is in the multiple GB size to eat up your precious space in the tiny SSD.
m
l
November 15, 2011 12:04:40 PM

Pyree said:
Simply move the download folder to an HDD.

You wouldn't want family holiday photo or HD video from a birthday which is in the multiple GB size to eat up your precious space in the tiny SSD.

Thank you!

I was really scared that I had to edit the registry etc. etc.! Is often quoted a page that suggest to edit the registry during the installation! as if I don't have enough headaches with human brains! I need even to learn how to use a disc after learning the passage from ibm disk to 3.5 compact disc and blueray!!! I'm going to put a stopwatch! i spend more time learning/tweaking than playing!!!!
m
l
November 15, 2011 12:07:26 PM

Best answer selected by Antonio Di Dio.
m
l
a b G Storage
November 15, 2011 12:15:05 PM

I think the registry change is to make another file on HDD as the default path for program installation. I do not recommend installing program on HDD when you have an SSD. What is the point? You want the full benefit of fast OS and program loading time when you have an SSD!
m
l
November 15, 2011 12:25:47 PM

Pyree said:
I think the registry change is to make another file on HDD as the default path for program installation. I do not recommend installing program on HDD when you have an SSD. What is the point? You want the full benefit of fast OS and program loading time when you have an SSD!

It's never easy to swap from a system to a new one!
They go on telling that the performance of the disc will deteriorate little by little with every operation! I don't know much about the way the OS handle the disc but as I stated after less than two years I found more than 200 thousand files and almost 28 thousand folder that I never created!! I though that the alarm created was true. Above all it's easy to find news about ssd that are years old and I understood that old ssd were much more subjected to wearing.
Please correct me if I'm wrong: a traditional hdd usually never wears off, I mean in time it conks out but usually if you format it there won't be any differences compared to the first time you used it!
thanks you very much indeed
m
l
a b G Storage
November 15, 2011 12:32:35 PM

Yeah, traditional HDD pretty much last forever.

SSD do have limited write cycle, but not before you get bored with them and get faster one.
m
l
November 15, 2011 12:50:41 PM

I've already planned to use it for 2/3 years and then stick it into my old pc, the one my partner uses to browse her emails.
that's why I asked you all this information. I think I'll keep two OS. I'll use the old one for torrent and messing and the new one only when I actually use the pc. after great cleaning I discovered I use 120 gb, barely enough to fit the new disc!
what is worse is that all the crappy software I install usually leaves behind tens of different folder/files. there are places like
app data in which i found garbage that i didn't even thought i still had!
I think it's much better to have an os in which I'm not going to install all the software that i download to evaluate!

Dear Pyree, I hope you'll be around when I'll need to update to 3d! you were too kind!

I think i'm going to test the 3d in december, I'll move the pc to my girlfriend place where I put my screen. I hope it's going to work. I don't particularly perceive the quality with the crappy tv channel I have. I live in Italy and they want 5 euros to show me the same stuff over again! But I hope I don't need to buy 4 dual core GPU to play Sonic generation!
m
l
a b G Storage
November 15, 2011 1:07:31 PM

Good point on not installing evaluation software on main OS. I don't test evaluation software on the main OS. Too much program on SSD. Try to keep SSD slim.

If you are trying to avoid crappy software. There is a list of approved software on the application section of the forum by our moderator area51reopened:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/242173-49-free-softwa...

That will save you time and effort.

I am afraid I am not so good on 3d stuff. May be you will know more than me on that when you get your 3d monitor. Basic 3d with iz3d I am ok with it but I am not rich enough to get 3d monitor to test out 3d yet. I am looking forward to Sony's lenticular glasses-less 3d cover because it will be glasses-less and affordable.

It's late in Australia. I am going to sleep. We will continue discussion on 3d monitor on the graphic section (start a new thread). It is more appropriate and there will be more 3d monitor expert there. :) 
m
l
November 15, 2011 1:30:01 PM

Thank you, I look forward to talking to you about 3d, God save the queen (i'm half British)
m
l
November 15, 2011 1:32:29 PM

Thanks for the page with the approved software, I'm going to install the essential ones
from there!
m
l
!