Graphics card help

Ok, I just got an nvidia 9600GT card for my computer and I installed it no problems, ok, but the issue came later, im able to get on the internet fine and everything, but when i go into games like empire: total war and company of heroes, im able to play for 20 to 30 minutes and then my computer randomly shuts down, no warning, and i have no clue why, im thinking its an overheating issue, but i want to be sure before i do anything, ill supply all the info i can about my computer

HP m8400f
Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit and also Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
AMD Phenom 9500 quad core processor 64 bit
3 Gigs of RAM
and my current card is Nvidia 8500GT
I also have a 700 watt power supply that I got back in July
I will also note that when I have my 8500GT in the computer, my computer dosent shut down, its only with the 9600GT
13 answers Last reply
More about graphics card help
  1. Looks like a faulty card!
  2. Im pretty sure its not, because i got it from my friend a week ago and it was running just fine then no problems or anything according to him
  3. Driver issue? Card clean? Cooling Fan spinning? Have you tried running it with the side panel off the computer for better cooling?
  4. Yea and it still happens, like I said, its only with higher graphical games, everything else is fine, also, it idles at 50 C and as soon as i get into a game it shoots up to anywhere from 60 C to high sixties or low seventies
  5. max temp according to nvidia is 105C http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9600gt_us.html
    That might leave us with driver issues or faulty card.
  6. Hey guys, my little brother was having the same problem, but with a different card. Anyway, it turned out that it was a setting on his windows, so that when the cpu or graphics card actually hit a specific temp ( usually during gaming ) it would restart the computer. I don't know if that's your issue, but, it's a thought
  7. Quote:
    it turned out that it was a setting on his windows, so that when the cpu or graphics card actually hit a specific temp ( usually during gaming ) it would restart the computer. I don't know if that's your issue, but, it's a thought

hmm interesting, do you know how to get to the window to take a look at it?

Also, what type of faulty drivers might you be talking about
  8. The Silence said:
    Quote:
    it turned out that it was a setting on his windows, so that when the cpu or graphics card actually hit a specific temp ( usually during gaming ) it would restart the computer. I don't know if that's your issue, but, it's a thought

hmm interesting, do you know how to get to the window to take a look at it?

Also, what type of faulty drivers might you be talking about

That's a good question lol, I am trying to reach him and ask how he fixed the issue. Il get back asap
  9. ok, thanks alot
  10. ok, now for some reason with my 8500GT in my computer, the computer still randomly shut down, now im thinking its a hardware failure other than the graphics card
  11. Could be your PSU failing or you might have a faulty stick of ram I suggest that you start by running memtest http://downloads.guru3d.com/Memtest86+-3.5-Release-download-1844.html
  12. but if it was the ram, I would think that I would not be able to boot and I would get a beep code indicating ram failure
  13. That is not the case faulty ram is a very common reason for untimely reboots. The only time I had a bad stick I had blamed it on the PSU but replacing that I still had the same issues not until running memtest I found out.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Computer Graphics