Sign in with
Your question

I7 2600k, Sabertooth Z77 @ 4.8ghz?

Last response: in Overclocking
June 4, 2012 2:03:23 AM

I can reach 4.5ghz on stock settings with temps of 34/68 idle/load. I'm using a push/pull H100 config in a Corsair 800d.
- 1.4011VID (according to RealTemp while under load)
- CPU-Z is showing core volts at 1.368
- again this is all auto settings other than changing the turbo multiplier to 45

My questions are:

1. How can I get 4.8ghz while keeping temps under 72C load?
- specifically, what types of voltages are common for a 4.8ghz oc?
- is it recommended to set it at 48 multiple and work down in core volts or the opposite?
- is there consenses on C1E and C3, C6, Package C support? Some sites say disable, others say enable to lower temps while idle
2. Does it matter that core #1 reports a temp sometimes 8 degrees lower than my others? (Is this indicative of a poor thermal grease application?)
a c 471 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
June 4, 2012 2:41:46 AM

the ib chips have thermal greases under the case..with my ib in core 3 that runs hotter then the other. i would post over on asus rog forum they know the right settings to keep the cpu cool and not burn it out.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
June 4, 2012 3:21:41 AM

dont use the auto vcore as it generally uses a fair amount more voltage than is actually required.

you temps are directly related to the vcore used. so set the vcore manually, keep it as low as you can without causing crashing an instability in your system.

i have a 2700k at 4.5ghz 24/7. its at 1.275v. so start at 1.3 and go up in as small incriments as you can until your able to run Prime 95 stable for 10+ hours.

mrface spent a fair amount of time creating a guide for this specific topic. i suggest you read it as it will answer pretty well all of your questions.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265056-29-2600k-2500k-overclocking-guide

m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
June 4, 2012 3:30:50 AM

^^^^ What Hugo said - but also remember that temps increase with higher clock frequency at the same voltage.

1) Keeping your temps down as low as possible will mean keeping voltages as low as possible while still attaining the 4.8ghz clock (through multiplier increases and you can also possibly squeeze some more by increasing the base clock). It's better to increase the multiplier one at a time until you get unstable, then bump up the voltage a little until stable again. Then repeat. Read the Tom's OC guide but here's another that is Asus flavored: http://91.121.148.119/downloads/PDF/ASUS_Sandy_Bridge_O...

2) Probably not an issue. Usually, cores show different temps even under full load all the time. I'm no expert on why, but from what I've read it's a function of the chip's sensor calibration and also how the OS uses multiple cores. If you'd done a poor job on the grease, you'd have bad temps all around.
m
l
October 6, 2012 6:59:38 PM

thepregnantgod said:
I can reach 4.5ghz on stock settings with temps of 34/68 idle/load. I'm using a push/pull H100 config in a Corsair 800d.
- 1.4011VID (according to RealTemp while under load)
- CPU-Z is showing core volts at 1.368
- again this is all auto settings other than changing the turbo multiplier to 45

My questions are:

1. How can I get 4.8ghz while keeping temps under 72C load?
- specifically, what types of voltages are common for a 4.8ghz oc?
- is it recommended to set it at 48 multiple and work down in core volts or the opposite?
- is there consenses on C1E and C3, C6, Package C support? Some sites say disable, others say enable to lower temps while idle
2. Does it matter that core #1 reports a temp sometimes 8 degrees lower than my others? (Is this indicative of a poor thermal grease application?)

I have almost exact same setup as you only Im using the h50 and I put my voltages up to 1.375 tops for that. I was gtting a higher temp than 72c though I think it topped out at 84c but I only have the h50 with low velocity fans. I turned off turbo and all cstate settings were disabled except c6 state and then disabled load line calibration and most virtulization features such as integrated graphics and such then gradually kept increases frequency until I got leveled out although my psu I think is a pos I think I could have done better with some better cooling and power effinciency. If you want to know morre just ask and I will see if I can help
m
l
!