Sign in with
Your question

PC powers off while booting

Last response: in Components
February 20, 2010 12:35:18 AM

Hi,

My PC has started powering off while booting up. Occasionally I make it as far as the Windows login but typically it occurs well before that. I had a 500W power supply and tried switching to a 650W but it continued to happen. I've also tried swapping ROM modules to no avail. CPU or motherboard perhaps? The components I have are:

- RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Mid-Tower
- Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz Dual Core processor
- ASUS P5K-VM LGA 775 Intel G33 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
- XFX PVT84JUDD3 GeForce 8600GT XXX 256MB 128-bit Video card
- CORSAIR DOMINATOR 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
- G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2
- Pair of WD hard drives

All components except the G.Skill Ram are about two years old. Any ideas what else could be wrong? Thanks in advance.

More about : powers booting

a c 124 ) Power supply
February 20, 2010 12:43:52 AM

Checked temps and voltages in BIOS ?
February 20, 2010 9:43:56 AM

Power supply is faulty?

CPU overheating due to damage(I had this once. It heats up before boot and shuts the system down)??

Mobo problems??

Do you hear any beeps(I am sure you can figure the problem out using beep codes)
Related resources
February 20, 2010 2:16:09 PM

Did you anything to it recently, upgrades, moved the case to a new location, removed cleaned videocards?

Reset your CMOS in case it's something in the BIOS.

And definitely try one stick of RAM. You've got 4 sticks, 2 different kinds?
February 21, 2010 2:34:57 AM

Agree with Hunded..... reduce memory chips to one of the two sets, reconfigure bios for voltage and speed of selected ram chips.
The point in this is both sets of memory can be used if set to parameters that are compatible to both as to voltage and clock rate. Since your problem is demonstrating a problem with power supply (most apparent) since you say it turns off, next most common but usually results in reboot is improper memory settings.
!